Trusted Contributor

Please tell me not to do this!

I'm an avid gardener but I can't do much right now because of a bad back. What I'm dying to do is to fertilize some of my flowers, shrubs, etc. I'm especially itching to get at a clematis that's in bad shape. I don't know whether to pull it out and start over or give it a healthy feeding and see what happens. I use alfalfa meal which is much less likely to burn or kill a plant if you use too much -- and it takes effect pertty quickly; this will pretty much decide the question for me.

The problem is that I have a medium-intensity bad back (I'd rate it about 6 ot 7 out of 10) and doing this would be bad for me. In case you're wondering, I administer it in dry form around the drip line, scratch it in, then water it.

I picked up thi information from Cisco Morris who has a gardening show in Seattle and facebook page, and his advice is usually spot-on. He was the first of the local gardening "experts" who started talking up organic gardening and discouraged use of the really nasty insect killing substances.

I really want to figure out what to do about my clematis but not at the cost of a bad backache. PLEASE tell me to wait about a week and/or have my husband do it for me (I'm really a hands-on gardener).

PLEASE!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please tell me not to do this!

1.  Have husband remove failing clematis

2.  Start new when planting and care won't affect your back.

OR:

Feed and fuss and suffer in silence.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Physical well-being is more important than any fantasy garden. I was in NYC, visiting family, and returned home to buy hanginig plants that do well in shade. So far, I have struck out. I shall keep trying but will inot go crazy if I am unsuccessful. Please remember that these worries about plants are not in the order-of-concern of our flora.

Honored Contributor

My opinion only, your health trumps your garden! If you can, wait untill you are better or have DH do it. But sounds like you'd rather do it yourself Smiley Happy

Take care of your back, please. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

You can find someone to help you with this; or, you can be like me and just do it.  Then, ice your back and take a pain reliever.  If you have infrared, that will help along with the ice.  Good luck!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace  So,  do you want to put yourself out of commission for the balance of the year and possibly even hurt yourself permanently?????  NO YOU DON'T.  FuzzyFace, you're smarter than that.  STOP RIGHT NOW.  Enjoy the garden.  Have an ice tea, ice coffee, lemonade,  PINA COLADA!!!!  Sit and enjoy.  RELAX. 

TAKE CARE OF YOU FIRST!

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace, I suppose you could have it both ways. Ask your husband do it while you supervise. Backaches usually respond well to walking so you could just spend some time walking around out there. Of course, you'll have to control the urge to bend, twist, shovel, pull, push, carry anything over a couple of pounds, etc. Or, you can just wait until your back is less painful. My opinion.......don't tempt yourself.

Respected Contributor

DO. NOT. Do. It.

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining

I agree.  Ask husband to do it with supervision.  I also agree that moderate backaches do respond to some mobility, at least mine do.

Respected Contributor

If you really want to do it then set a lawn chair beside it and get a bag to put the trimmings in. Just take your time and stand up and stretch in between working on it. I would trim it back and then give it a shot of miracle grow and see how it goes. Don't overdo things with your back for sure and I would take a couple of Ibuprofen before I started.