Respected Contributor

Re: Please tell me not to do this!

@FuzzyFace

I agree with @hckynut:

@hckynut wrote:

@FuzzyFace

Only you know what you really want to do, so just proceed from there. While I do ask my wife for opinions, she knows which way I am leaning anyways.

Bad back? Mine is minus 3 lumbar discs after 2 back surgeries, so I can "kinda" relate. My back has seldom been the deciding factor in any of my physical activities. Did they make my back sore? On occasion, but I am able discern tight muscles from nerve pain, thus know my limits.

I say:   Get out in your garden!

hckynut(john)

Respected Contributor

I would but I don't think you would listen !!Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I'm in the don't do it category.  Your husband will do it fine.  Got to let go.

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace

Seriously?   You're a grown woman, an adult, and should be able to safeguard your health by making the right decisions .... forget the gardening .... for now anyway.   Get a new hobby.  

Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFace wrote:

I'm an avid gardener but I can't do much right now because of a bad back. What I'm dying to do is to fertilize some of my flowers, shrubs, etc. I'm especially itching to get at a clematis that's in bad shape. I don't know whether to pull it out and start over or give it a healthy feeding and see what happens. I use alfalfa meal which is much less likely to burn or kill a plant if you use too much -- and it takes effect pertty quickly; this will pretty much decide the question for me.

The problem is that I have a medium-intensity bad back (I'd rate it about 6 ot 7 out of 10) and doing this would be bad for me. In case you're wondering, I administer it in dry form around the drip line, scratch it in, then water it.

I picked up thi information from Cisco Morris who has a gardening show in Seattle and facebook page, and his advice is usually spot-on. He was the first of the local gardening "experts" who started talking up organic gardening and discouraged use of the really nasty insect killing substances.

I really want to figure out what to do about my clematis but not at the cost of a bad backache. PLEASE tell me to wait about a week and/or have my husband do it for me (I'm really a hands-on gardener).

PLEASE!!!!!

@FuzzyFace

I am currently suffering a bout with my back so I understand how you are feeling!  It is very painful and upsetting because you have things you really want to do.  I feel lazy and anxious when I can't get to stuff when I want to!  Let the flower go for now.  You really need to take care of your back first or you might even be out of commission longer! Best wishes and hope you feel better soon!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@FuzzyFaceJust happened to think, why don't you raise Bonsi trees!  They're very interesting!

Image result for bonsai tree

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@FuzzyFace

Seriously?   You're a grown woman, an adult, and should be able to safeguard your health by making the right decisions .... forget the gardening .... for now anyway.   Get a new hobby. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously!

I ended up feeding my acid-loving plants, very carefully. I ended up sprawled on the lawn on my stomach, with a bucket of fertilizer, and my back isn't giving me any problems.

Going slow, I discovered, is the key, and don't worry about getting dirty. You're gonna get dirty anyway so just put on your funky clothes and go have fun!

I already have enough blueberries (i.e., an acid-loving plant) for a pie but I'm saving them for a while. I also have some other berries...globe fruit?---coming along though they grow more slowly. But my real pride and joy is my hedge of yellow azaelas.  Can't wait till they fill in along my front fence.