Respected Contributor

Re: Please pray for us who will be hit by hurricane Florence!

Last year we got hit with Irma and the year before Matthew. I am praying for everyone in the path of these terrible tropical storms. I have a generator now but regardless, these storms put so much emotional pressure on people it is horrible. Make sure you have enough cash because after the storm bank cards, credit cards don't work. Have enough water and if you can non perishable food. after about 3 days of eating bars last year I could not wait to get something decent to eat. Panera was open and I ordered a chicken salad sandwich and they actually gave me 2. It was the best sandwich ever. I lost power for 5 days and it was hot, dark and miserable. Also wash all of your clothes now. You will appreciate having clean clothes. I also had 5 power banks charged that I had bought off of HSN and I actually got through the no electricity time with a fully charge cell phone. This storm is bad. God Bless and good luck. Get out of harms way. All of us at work today in NE Florida were thinking about the poor people in the Carolinas. We are praying for you. 

Respected Contributor

I remember evacuating for Matthew, I was on my way inland and I saw the longest line of electrical trucks that I had ever seen just waiting to move in. The trucks were from multiple states. So many come from out of state to help. Hopefully everything will be OK. 

Respected Contributor

Just a suggestion for y'all, last year I could not get gas. I got up at 6 AM or so the day Irma was supposed to hit and easily got gas. Also my windows were boarded up and that helped. Who ever suggested about getting out because of trees is right, get out. This is a monster category 4 storm, just leave. Inland can be very bad also with high wind, tornadoes and heavy rain. 

Honored Contributor

There's so much excellent advice on this thread...  I can't think what to add right now.   I'm praying, throughout the day and night, for everyone who is in the path of this storm.   Please take heed of warnings and do whatever you can to protect yourselves.   As the next days go by, I hope all of you will try to let us know how you are -- when you can do so safely.   In the meantime, you remain in my heart and in my prayers.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I bought many canned items, water, ice and gas.  My son called me today and said they have no gas near where he works.  I’m getting a bit scared.  I’ve been in earthquakes but never a hurricane.  We are right in the bullseye in central NC. I think I’m more concerned about not having any power.  We had no electricity for a week after a bad ice storm and I melted snow and ice to clean with.  We couldn’t get out becaue my street had solid ice on it. I know all my neighbors will help each other out when the time comes.  Prayers for everyone in the path of the storm. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

PS. Please get cash because stores may sell items, but only with cash after the storm. 

Honored Contributor

Finally...convinced Mom to pack up her things and be w/ us during storm. Without power, flooding, her aides not coming in, it’s a great idea to be there alone.

I’ll pick her up at 2:30, bring her plants, patio furniture into living room (taking thick plastic sheeting) & checking for any important papers she may need to bring so they’re safe, as well.

Whew! I had to do a lot of fast talking, but it worked & now no extra worries.

Honored Contributor

Offering up prayers from the great state of Michigan. Heart

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Hurricane Hack: fill washing machine with ice; put in bottled water and cold drinks.

Everybody may have seen this already.

28E3C359-4BA9-4691-B170-DA88A62E3D32.png

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

Hurricane Hack: fill washing machine with ice; put in bottled water and cold drinks.

Everybody may have seen this already.

28E3C359-4BA9-4691-B170-DA88A62E3D32.png

@LTT1  Also works for milk, bacon, beer, wine and the hard stuff.  I went thorugh my first hurricane in Louisiana.  I learned a lot from Andrew and the Cajuns.