Respected Contributor

Re: Please pray for us who will be hit by hurricane Florence!

@this is my nic wrote:

Sept 6, 1996 NC was hit by hurricane Fran. Most of the state was affected, especially the eastern half.  We had no power for about a week, some areas took longer. The forecast was for our are in central NC to be spared the worst, we were not spared. We were hit hard.   So, we were not well prepared.  

Now, hurricane Florence is supposed to follow the same track.  This time, we are stocking up on things we wished we had, but that won't provide protection. 

Please keep us in your prayers.  High wind and heavy rain are part of hurricanes.  Many homes will be damaged or destroyed by falling trees or wind.   Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. 

It’s a category 2 now.  I live in Central NC and I’m prepared as much as I can be.  Pretty stupid of NC to put the major electrical grid by the beach.  Don’t you think?  

Trusted Contributor

Thoughts and especially prayers are with all both North and South.

Stay safe.

Esteemed Contributor

I am on the Jersey Shore & for the last two days the weather has been terrible ... high winds & very high surf.. please stay safe & if they tell you evacuate please get out fast .... it’s not worth it to stay around .. my house had a lot of damage from Sandy in 2012 & I would never want to go thru that again ..... my prayers are with you & all in the path of the storm .... stay safe!!

Honored Contributor

Those of us out of harm's way will be standing by to pick you all back up literally, physically, and financially. Listen, stay safe and don't forget the pets! ♥️
Honored Contributor

di-mc, in Birmingham, AL, a lot of hurricanes and high winds blow through here from the gulf.  If you live in an area where there is a danger of large trees falling, please evacuate.  I cannot plead this enough!  A lot of people are injured from falling trees.  There is power in prayer, a lot of power.  Keep praying and asking for prayer. I'm praying for you and the entire east coast.  You are on my mind and my heart... SC  

Honored Contributor

Praying for you!

Esteemed Contributor

Wish all the hurricane posts were together!

I can't believe how huge Florence is.  It will effect a lot of people.  Please prepare and be safe.

Remember that the "path" you see on TV is the center of the storm....not the actual size of the storm.  

I have lived through many, but never a really bad one that did a lot of damage.  My heart goes out to all of you!

Honored Contributor

Sending prayers to the folks of NC, who I think will be the hardest hit, but to all of you on the east coast!  Heard this could be a Cat 4 hurricane, so please if you are on the coast, please evacuate and go to a safe place!

Honored Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

@this is my nic, my thoughts and prayers will be with you too, as I am also in Central NC and I remember Fran very well.  It seems ironic that this one is taking the same track 22 years almost to the day (give or take a few) since Fran came through.  I posted some of my other memorable hurricane experiences on the thread "Hurricane Florence 9/9/18 based on model"... in Community Chat.  You probably aren't as old as I am, so you may not have been here for Hurricane Hazel in 1954. I wasn't old enough and we didn't know enough back then to be as anxious as I am about this one.  It's odd that Hazel, Fran, and Florence all seem to take the same path. I hope everyone prepares and stays safe in the coming days.

@kittymomNC  Fran took down many trees (at last house) & also no power for over a week here in central NC. This morning bagging ice & putting in 2 freezers to go in coolers when/if lose power. Was out early this morning & many Walmarts in area?...shelves are cleared! Not 100% sure how bad it’ll be, but better prepared than not. Found my list (was in journal I wrote during Fran) of what I wished we had onboard & didn’t think about. If this helps anyone:

Meds refilled for us AND the dogs

Extra dog food & count on water for pets

Long matches to light gas grill (electric starter) & gas 

cooktop.

Extra toilet paper

Lg. cooler to keep bags of ice for some refrigerated foods

Dry shampoo (hair got nasty!!)

Makeup wipes & baby wipes to clean up instead of cold

showers all the time

Chunky soups (meal in a can)

More batteries than think needed

Weather radio on batteries

Trusted Contributor

@kittymomNC@this is my nic Hey guys, lets all pray for eachother. I am in NC also, I  in the sandhills. Looks like we all could be in for a rough time. I have weathered a few hurricanes here including Fran intense winds inland as the storm continued to be fueled by the cape fear river as it moved inland.. Just 2 years ago we had 17 inches of rain in one day from Mathew and a freak storm dumped 13 inches of rain in one day just the week prior. Major flooding. I am kind of worried about this one, It is a category 4 now , one forecaster in your area said it is not out of the realm of possibility it could make it to a 5. 

God bless and keep all of those in its path.