Honored Contributor

Re: Please help me interpret language in this obituary

@Kayell wrote:

Time of fellowship usually means visiting with family and friends, along with a meal. 

Yes and no visiting hours means no open casket for viewing prior to the funeral.

Honored Contributor

It means there are no visiting hours, no casket viewing.    There will be the funeral service and that will be followed by what some call a repast.  That's a reception at which people will share memories and stories about the deceased.  It appears that the burial will be private, just the family.  

Super Contributor

i believe it is just a gathering for folks to come together.  There might be light refreshments similar to what some folks do after a funeral.  If you have any questions, call the funeral home.  They will be happy to clarify.  Sorry for the loss of your neighbor.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover That means to visit with the family and share a light lunch.

Honored Contributor

My brother passed away recently.  We had a visitation an hour before the celebration of life service.  After the burial we returned to the church for a fellowship meal served by his church for family and friends.  In our area sometimes the meal is held at a restaurant.

Most likely "time of fellowship" means a meal served by her church.  What confuses me is the end time of 3:30 p.m.  You don't say what time the funeral is scheduled.   

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much, everyone,  for the clarifications.  

I think I would feel like an outsider at the fellowship, so I will send a card and donation.

Respected Contributor

I have noticed in the past few years, there are fewer and fewer "prior calling hours", regardless of the religion.  They go right to the funeral/service itself, often with a reception following.  It's a new trend, I think.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

@PilatesLover - definitely means a lunch.  I agree with you, that I would feel out of place at the fellowship if I were not a family member or close friend. 💗

Respected Contributor

Just make a quick call to the funeral home and they will advise you the exact wishes of the family. 

Honored Contributor

That happens a lot here too.  Usually refreshments by Ladies of the Church.  You can just go down and go through the receiving line and then stay or leave.