Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please help me interpret language in this obituary

[ Edited ]

Hubby works part time as an usher at a Funeral Home...

He agrees with the othe posters who said No viewing...just the service.

They are probably getting cremated because the family usually goes to the cemetary with the body.

Also, don't go hungry......Fellowship doesn't mean a meal....might just be refreshments.

I think it would say a "light lunch will follow" if they were feeding you.

Best is to call the Funeral Home and find out for sure

Honored Contributor

Re: Please help me interpret languagea in this obituary

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

It sounds to me that there will be a funeral at 1 pm followed by a reception of sorts, probably in the church's "fellowship" hall or social space.  I don't think it means visiting hours in the traditional sense, but rather a time after the funeral for friends and family to gather and visit.  

Exactly.

Not sure how things get so confusing.

I mean....just roll with it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Please help me interpret languagea in this obituary

At my church that would mean some sandwiches, cookies and coffee in the church basement after the funeral concludes (bigger churches use an attached fellowship hall). I'd think you'd be comfortable in such a setting.

Honored Contributor

In West Virginia this translates to anyone who wants to attend the funeral service, show up by the funeral hour and take a seat.  

The family will hang around after the service and at 3:30 be available to meet and greet anyone choosing to stay.   I would assume food will be available.

Respected Contributor

@PilatesLover Don't let yourself feel like an outsider. Why would you ?

Honored Contributor

I'm Catholic ... when we say "time for fellowship" following Mass or meeting, etc.,  ... we simply means a social time ... friendship / conversation.

Contributor

@PilatesLover I agree with the other posters that the fellowship will be refreshments and a chance to visit and give your condolences to the family. There's no need to feel like an outsider, since it will not be a formal, sit down meal.You should go if you want. Maybe after talking to the family and close friends, you may learn some interesting things about your neighbor that you never knew. 

Honored Contributor

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I'm Catholic ... when we say "time for fellowship" following Mass or meeting, etc.,  ... we simply means a social time ... friendship / conversation.

@ALRATIBA 

This is what it means to me.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Yes, call the funeral home.

Probably no viewing.  A get-together after the funeral.

But, call, just to make sure.

RIP to your dear neighbor. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).