Trusted Contributor

Please help me interpret language in this obituary

[ Edited ]

My next door neighbor passed away.  We have always been friendly in passing, but never closely friendly neighbors.  The neighbors are very devout in whatever branch of Protestantism it is they belong to.

Anyway, I would like to attend the service and show my support.  I am a non-practicing Catholic so am used to a wake or the shorter visiting hours followed by a mass. or a simple "celebration of life" ceremony.  Here is the language confusing me:

"A funeral service will be held at ... A time of fellowship will follow the service until 3:30 p.m. There are no visiting hours."

What is confusing me is "time of fellowship" which I interpret as visiting hours, yet there are no visiting hours.  Maybe I should just send a donation to the listed charity, and a card.

Respected Contributor

Re: Please help me interpret languagea in this obituary

It sounds to me that there will be a funeral at 1 pm followed by a reception of sorts, probably in the church's "fellowship" hall or social space.  I don't think it means visiting hours in the traditional sense, but rather a time after the funeral for friends and family to gather and visit.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Please help me interpret language in this obituary

Could is mean a time for prayer

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

It could mean light refreshments and visiting with the family in the Social Hall, or Dining Room too. 

Contributor

Time of fellowship usually means visiting with family and friends, along with a meal. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It sounds like there will be no time to talk to the family prior to the funeral service.  If you want to skip the service, just show up at the hall around 2:30ish, and say sorry you couldn't make the services, but wanted to pay your respects.

If you weren't particularly close, a nice card would be a very acceptable alternative.  Or bake a cake and drop it off at the house.  When my sister was dying (at home with hospice care), their next-door neighbors came over with a beautiful homemade cake (they were friendly and chatted outside when they saw each other, but not friends who socialized with each other) .  None of us were cooking or baking those last few days...it was very nice to have it there, when someone realized they were hungry.  It touched my brother-in-law a lot that they were so thoughtful.

Honored Contributor

This type of service is very common in my area.  There will be no viewing.  After the funeral, family and friends are invited to gather for refreshments or a meal usually in the fellowship room of the church, but it could be elsewhere as well.

After the funeral, you may also leave if you do not want to attend the fellowship.

Honored Contributor

In my area, funerals are almost always followed by a Dinner, or luncheon after the service...

Honored Contributor

We use the phrase "time of fellowship" for all instances where visiting and coming together as a group in the Lord's name.  In your situation it would be for the mourners to be together but not a part of the service for the Deceased.  It is used as well for happy times and holidays ect.....  Family, friends, food and Fellowship.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

No, a time of fellowship means fellowship.  Not family gathering.  No visiting hours means there will be no open casket before the funeral where family will stand by the casket and receive friends.    It means there will be a fellowship following where friends will meet family and probably finger foods or soft beverages will be served.