Esteemed Contributor

I don’t go to doctors much.For many personal reasons I have very little faith in them.I do take a flu shot every year. In addition I try to stay away from people who are sick & wash my hands often. 

Since I’ve taken the shot I’ve been lucky. I’ve gotten only mild versions of the flu.Hopefully,DH & I will be lucky this year too!!

Valued Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@pugvette74 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@pugvette74 wrote:

@Shopchickie3 As long as we have "our" flu shot we are protected as well as we can be.

It is very kind of you to care that people do, but some people choose not to for different reasons. Heart

What are those reasons @pugvette74.  The vaccine does not have a live virus.

@Noel7 Some people don't want to get it for THEIR OWN PERSONAL REASONS... 

@pugvette74  Yes, I got that, I guess I didnt know they were secret, I just wanted to understand.

@Noel7 I don't know why you are questioning me when I get the flu shot each year... Maybe you can ask the posters that said no to the shot. I know a lot of people that refuse to get it for their own personal reasons, like I said in my last post. No secret!!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I don’t go to doctors much.For many personal reasons I have very little faith in them.I do take a flu shot every year. In addition I try to stay away from people who are sick & wash my hands often. 

Since I’ve taken the shot I’ve been lucky. I’ve gotten only mild versions of the flu.Hopefully,DH & I will be lucky this year too!!

I got seriously sick in November, I had not yet had the flu shot, but there wasn’t a real outbreak yet.  I ended up in the hospital, very ill for five days, I tested positive for Type B flu which is not affected by the shot.  Now it’s spread all over and we also have the Type A outbreak. I got the vaccine in time.

This is a seriously bad year for the flu.  If I get type A it’s going to be very dangerous, I haven’t recovered completely and I have Lupus.

Esteemed Contributor

How about a conversation with your doctor instead of the Walgreen's commercial?

Live or dead virus, your health care provider knows your history.

Honored Contributor

Re: Please get flu shots!

[ Edited ]

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

my husband & I got our vaccines in October & BOTH got the flu for over 2 weeks..it was not fun! Hoping for more effective formulas next year! 

My elderly mother got a flu shot, and is currently hospitalized with the flu.  The doctor told me that this year's flu shot was not very effective.

I hope you and your husband are feeling better!

("Get a flu shot" may be good advice for some people, but not all. It's not just a personal decision, but a medical one as well.  People with certain allergies as well as some people who have had Guillain-Barré Syndrome should not get flu shots.  As the OP said, everyone should consult with a medical care professional about this.  And then, IMO, make their own decision.)

@NYC Susan

I agree that everyone should talk to their doctor.  There are flu vaccines without allergic ingredients.

And if anyone is close to someone with a compromised immune system, that person’s odds of beating the flu are lowered when he or she is around someone with the flu or coming down with it.

Valued Contributor

My doctor told me to get the flu shot. My mother however told me the flu would be worse this year if I actually did get the shot.

I ended up not getting the shot and getting the flu pretty bad for at least 2 weeks. But now I get to enjoy several months of "I told you so and it would have been worse" from my mother. 

So basically my mother is happy and that's all that matters until she kills me...

Regular Contributor

NorthernLights Smiley LOL

Frequent Contributor

Re: Please get flu shots!

[ Edited ]

As a 73 years young woman I've been getting the flu shot every year for the last 10 years.  I have no allergies and'or health issues that would prevent me from getting the shot.  And I feel I owe it to myself, my adult children and my grandchildren that I have this shot.  Yes, I know that there is always a chance that the flu strain for a particular year will not match the flu strain in that year's vaccine.  But I will gladly get the shot because to not got it means you have NO chance of coverage for any flu strain!  I am retired now but when I was working I remember all the co-workers who would ignorantly come in to work sick with colds, stomach issues and even the flu.  Hopefully everyone out there will stay home when they start to feel ill!  Also, in the late fall I make sure I have on hand tylenol, (can't take Ibuprofen), Nyquil or something of that kind, boxes of chicken soup or what I can fit in the freezer, frozen or canned juices.  That way, if I am sick (and I live by myself) and I get a cold I am not running out to the supermarket infecting other people. My feeling is that everyone has to be pro active when it comes to their health.  And that also includes eating a healthy diet and walking at least 8 miles every day!  And since I turned 70 I include a multi-vitamin for older women!  Oy!  And all those people who choose not to get the flu shot for personal reasons, please, as soon as you feel something happening to your health STAY HOME!

Respected Contributor

A few years ago I put off getting the shot and wound up getting the flu.  I never want that again. 

Respected Contributor

I think it's good advice to wash your hands a lot, sleep and eat well, and limit exposure to crowds.

Not everyone gets a flu shot.  Yes, it's a personal decision.