Trusted Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

my husband & I got our vaccines in October & BOTH got the flu for over 2 weeks..it was not fun! Hoping for more effective formulas next year! 

Ditto for hubby and me. Doctors at Tampa General Hospital tell us flu shot is supposed to be about 10% effective, but in reality is far lower, practically useless. Vaccine was formulated against weaker flu strains and does not work this year. My brother is a head research scientist at NIH, and he agrees that flu shot is a complete miss. Save your money and just try to stay away from germ factories like packed airplanes with their petri dish recirculated air. 

Esteemed Contributor

Every year I post the same message. The one year that I did not get a flu shot, I almost died of flu. Needless to say, I get my shot every year now. I know that this year’s shot is not 100 per cent effective. They guessed wrong on some of the bugs...but not all of them. I read a local newspaper obituary this past weekend...a beautiful 4 year old boy. He died of the flu. I cannot imagine the heartache of the family. 

Honored Contributor

The LA Times reports 36 people under age 65 have died already.  Stats not available for over 65, but the flu hits that group hardest.

In California, now it's 27 children who have died of this year's flu.

Honored Contributor

We have had 46 deaths in Washington state.  

Respected Contributor

I don't get the flu shot. If I worked in a Doctors office at the front desk or came into contact with sick people I would but I choose to just wash hands and continue doing what I've always done. If I do happen to get the flu I would rest and drink fluids. I'm not knocking people who chose to get the vaccine but I don't think it's necessary for myself.

Respected Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

The flu vaccine this year is only 10% effective in some researcher's opinion and not at all effective in others.  What is the point then in this flu vaccine since it is virtually not effective?

They got a stock pile of it and want some $$'s for it....sorry but that's what I think since they know it's not effective this yr for what's going around!!  JUst get it they constantly say on TV but it's not effective BUT you should get it anyway!  WHAT?  makes zero sense to me.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Please get flu shots!

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

@Deanie wrote:

The flu vaccine this year is only 10% effective in some researcher's opinion and not at all effective in others.  What is the point then in this flu vaccine since it is virtually not effective?

They got a stock pile of it and want some $$'s for it....sorry but that's what I think since they know it's not effective this yr for what's going around!!  JUst get it they constantly say on TV but it's not effective BUT you should get it anyway!  WHAT?  makes zero sense to me.  

Gosh, who said that on TV @tsavorite ?

What they have said on my TV and what the CDC has said is it's only 10% effective so it won't stop the flu but it DOES lessen the probability that we will die of the flu.  In fact, the statistics show that people who had the vaccine have less deaths as a group than those who did not get the flu shot.

They also say if we DO get the flu, it won't be as bad if we had the vaccine, than if we didn't have it.

Personal choice, of course.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I don't get the flu shot. If I worked in a Doctors office at the front desk or came into contact with sick people I would but I choose to just wash hands and continue doing what I've always done. If I do happen to get the flu I would rest and drink fluids. I'm not knocking people who chose to get the vaccine but I don't think it's necessary for myself.

So basically you play Russian Roulette with your life. Go to the supermarket, get exposed and contract it. Even healthy kids are dying from the flu. Resting and drinking fluids? For many it isn't enough....

Trusted Contributor

@BalletBabe  Since you don't get vaccinations, how do you avoid getting the flu and pneumonia?  

Trusted Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

my husband & I got our vaccines in October & BOTH got the flu for over 2 weeks..it was not fun! Hoping for more effective formulas next year! 

That happens.  I'm watching the news, and one university has said you can catch this flu just by breathing.  I got my flu shot in October.  So far, no flu.