Trusted Contributor

Re: Plastic Bag Collection = Do you?

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@ILTH wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

We use our own bags 98% of the time.  I have a collection of reusable bags in every car.  From small bags to large insulated bags.  

The few times we get plastic bags we recycle them.

I really think stores should charge for plastic bags.  One our recent travels was to an area that charged .10 per bag and all the bags were paper, no plastic.

I disagree. Where I live (NYC), we all use the plastic bags for our garbage. They are, in effect, recycled.  If we didn't have the plastic bags from the supermarket, we'd have to buy plastic garbage bags. That doesn't do anything but make Hefty, Glad, etc. rich.

It's inconceivable to me that an acceptable alternative to plastic and paper can't be made. Strong, yet, biodegradable.

HOW is it BETTER to use 20 small grocery store bags instead of 1 large bag for garbage?  I honestly do not understand your point.  We have garbage here in my city too.

Nobody I know uses big bags. Small kitchens, roaches, mice, moths, gnats, other wildlife.  It's a fact of life. Most people here throw garbage out every day.  Absolutely no use for large bags. 

The garbage goes out, at least, every morning when we go out. 

Honored Contributor

sometimes they are used for pet waste.

most of the time i take them back to grocery stores where they have recycling bins right as you walk in.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Our grocery store accepts them back and recycles them. I never know how many bags I use when I shop.  It depends on what's on sale.

I have read where reused alternate bags carry strep, lysteria, or other germs becauxe they aren't cleaned regularly.  I don't use them because my double major included chemistry and I understand germs and their relationship to bags.

Honored Contributor

I might use a few of the grocery bags for our small trash cans in the bathroom but we use a large bag in the kitchen...our garbage is picked up once a week, the kitchen bag is put inside a larger bag, that is picked up by our city....we MUST use their (larger) bags (they are imprinted with our city name on them) or they will not pick up the trash....trash only in the city provided bags, all garden waste, leaves, etc must be recycled....we have to take to to the local recycling center.

If we put it (garden waste) at the curb the city will not pick it up.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina 

🤣 You are too funny.... 3 years? Oh my...😁 You had a dream I guess....Cool.

Earlier today I was so mad I had those grocery plastic bags piling up and could not figure out how on earth they think they are useful to us?! I mean, make them cute or something....but gray? I tried stuffing several into 1, then that did not go well so I hauled them all out to the garbage can.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

@phluphy Please give me a hint how you do that.to make blankets and mattresses with the bags.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in CA & the only places I know of that have the single use plastic bags are Home Depot & Lowe's. There are thicker plastic bags at the grocery store that are 10 cents each.  

I miss those free thin plastic bags.  I have 3 dogs so I go through a LOT of plastic bags!  My neighbor gives me her newspaper bags, & I will use bread bags & even QVC bags! My relatives in AZ save their bags for me & bring them when they come for a visit.  And when I go to MA to visit other family I stuff as many Shaw's & Stop & Shop bags in my suitcase as I can for the trip home. And even with all the "bag support" that I have, I still need to buy pet waste bags now & then!  

If I lived where they still had those plastic bags I would hoard them too!

Respected Contributor

I avoid plastic whenever possible.

Our oceans are clogged with pellets that are due to the fact that plastic is not completely recyclable.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

As some others do,  we line our kitchen garbage can with them...  they are the perfect size.   The other plastic bags that you put fruits and veg in we use to pick up after our dog.  We are repurposing these bags.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG 

Only use the washable bags.  

PS almost all re-usable bags are washable.

Too make it really simple I only use canvas bags for items that may be 'icky' like meat.

Other bags are used for clothes or homegoods.

The ones that pack into a tiny pouch are for whatever unplanned purchase.

ChicoBag Original Pale Green- Reusable Shopping Bag