Contributor

Places to visit in Seattle and surrounding area?

Hello!  My husband has a conference in Seattle in late June and I will be traveling with him to spend a few days after seeing the sights.  What would you recommend as a must see for this area?  I have 4 days on my own-and 3 or 4 with him and want to know where to go and what to see.  We are staying at the Sheraton Seattle Hotel. Ready-Set-Go!

Honored Contributor

Re: Places to visit in Seattle and surrounding area?

Seattle Center, Pike Place Market, and Pioneer Square.You might want to do one of the underground tours of the subterranean passages.

If you like silly toys, you can go to Archie McPhee store.

You should definitely check out A la Mode Pies, one of the best pie shops in the country. It was opened after my last visit to Seattle, so I'll be very jealous if you go. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I didn't realize you had two threads on this subject, but I just posted this response to the one in the Beauty forum:

If you have time, @LovingLife2, you may even want to take a ferry to Victoria to see the Butchart Gardens.  The ferry ride itself is fun, if you like to be around the water and boats. 

Another ferry idea is to go to one of the San Juan Islands or just take a tour around the harbor area. 

Be sure to bring your passport if you go to Victoria.  I didn't and they let me back in to the US but it was a little awkward and uncomfortable.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Seattle Center, Pike Place Market, and Pioneer Square.You might want to do one of the underground tours of the subterranean passages.

If you like silly toys, you can go to Archie McPhee store.

You should definitely check out A la Mode Pies, one of the best pie shops in the country. It was opened after my last visit to Seattle, so I'll be very jealous if you go. Smiley Happy

I think this was one of the places featured in that delightful PBS program about pie shops around the US.  I remember the Blue Hawaiian they featured.  It would be hard to choose from among the pie choices shown on their website.  I've been wanting to go back to Seattle for a long time.  It would be silly to say a pie shop would put me over the edge, now wouldn't it?  Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Agree about Victoria!  

While I didn't get to spend much time in Seattle, which I loved, I got to spend more time in Victoria and it's just breathtaking.  

Seattle is a place I think I could live.  For somebody like me, it has everything - my beloved Pacific Ocean, cool and mild weather, and lots of dreary (I love cloudy days and get the kind of energy from that that others get from sunny days!).

I hope your trip is wonderful.

One of my oddest, but best since I didn't get to spend much time there, memories was this restaurant in the airport at which we had lunch before our flight out.  I don't even remember the name, since it's been about 25 years, but it was near a coat-check place, as I recall.    Beautiful view and the food was amazing - way above anything I'd expect at an airport restaurant for sure.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Agree about Victoria!  

While I didn't get to spend much time in Seattle, which I loved, I got to spend more time in Victoria and it's just breathtaking.  

Seattle is a place I think I could live.  For somebody like me, it has everything - my beloved Pacific Ocean, cool and mild weather, and lots of dreary (I love cloudy days and get the kind of energy from that that others get from sunny days!).

I hope your trip is wonderful.

One of my oddest, but best since I didn't get to spend much time there, memories was this restaurant in the airport at which we had lunch before our flight out.  I don't even remember the name, since it's been about 25 years, but it was near a coat-check place, as I recall.    Beautiful view and the food was amazing - way above anything I'd expect at an airport restaurant for sure.

Ditto, @chickenbutt Heart

Frequent Contributor

LL2, I posted on the other thread. Didn't realize there were two! I'm from Seattle, so I hope my suggestions are pertinent!

Trusted Contributor

@LovingLife2

You have received some very good suggestions.  I totally agree with @ChynnaBlue and all of her suggestions.

Our younger son and his family live in Seattle (Magnolia neighborhood), and we

have gone to many wonderful places. You can also visit the Rock and Roll Museum not far from the Space Needle, as well as the Museum of Flight near Boeing Field.  We now visit Seattle three or four times a year;

I remember a museum near downtown as well.  It is a beautiful place to visit, especially between May-October. 

Your hotel will give you other suggestions. 

Aboout twenty years ago, I had a trip to Seattle much like yours:  I travelled with my husband while he was on a business trip. 

We also took a day  trip to Victoria on the Clipper which is a faster boat.  We had a great time, and I believe we were visitors for four days totally. 

I think you will really have a nice time; Seattle is a fun place to visit.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Just remember---it can rain like crazy in June too, so pack accordingly. And there isn't a ferry to Vancouver/Victoria anymore. It is the Clipper now. I went to Victoria when the Princess Margarhite (sp) was in town, about 40 years ago. It took 4 hours one way ;now I think it only takes a couple. I like the places mentioned by other posters. And also be prepared for horrible traffic too. I've lived here for 59.5 years now. And also, you can Uber anywhere downtown Seattle too, when the weather is bad.

Contributor

Great idea! That is something I can do by myself when hubby is occupied!

THANKS!