Honored Contributor

I'm not saying the neighbor is right or that dogs should be permitted to roam the neighborhood. The fact is that antagonizing one's neighbors can become much more stressful than accepting a roaming dog when a fence will solve the problem.

These situations tend to escalate and what the OP is doing is adding fuel. She has no idea what sort of people live in the neighborhood, the majority may complain and then let it go but it only takes one to slash tires, key your car, put your name, address and photo that has been altered on the web, throw a brick through your window, trash your yard...

I would rather consider the consequences and weigh those against the problem at hand. In this situation I would just put up a fence.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

A little 7 year old boy ,was killed last week here in maine,by a pit bull.

News reports I have found do not identify the breed.

It was identified as a Pit Bull. 

Respected Contributor

Interesting article in the SF paper about this very subject today. Click on the data report, read the stats and make up your own mind. I have. 

http://www.sfgate.com/lifestyle/pets/article/Dog-breeds-that-have-attacked-the-most-people-7960524.p...

Honored Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, a savvy buyer would do a bit of research. A house, a neighborhood, has to be more of a commitment,  more of an expense and harder to unload than a car. So, before one buys or builds a house they should find out what goes on, the neighborhood lifestyle, what to expect. Seems the OP didn't and now expects the neighborhood to cater to them. It's not going to happen.

They can demand, report, whatever and the dog owners may have to confine him to their property but there will be resentment, hostility, and the OP and her family will be hated. 

That may be all that happens or there may be retaliation.  

So, better to assimilate and put up a fence.

Sorry, but you can't be serious with this comment! "Expect the neighborhood to cater to you"????

NO, I own my home and expect my rights on my own property to be respected by humans and their animals alike.

Who cares if neighbors choose to allow this behaviour on their property, it doesn't mean that I have to accept it on mine.

I could care less if expecting that means neighbors won't like me.....my property, my rules!

BTW, there are 2 sweet, lovable Pits in my family and they would never be allowed to roam free, no more than we allow any of the other breeds to roam free, even though the neighbors love the Pits.

As a matter of fact, just last week we politely asked our elderly neighbor of 30+ years not to pat the fence to encourage him to stand up on our 4' chain link fence to be petted, as we don't want him to figure out that he can climb it if he wanted to.

We had no problem with him reaching over the fence to pet him.

Well, the neighbor came out literally screaming at us for not "wanting him to pet our dog", so we ignored him and went into the house, he then called yelling and screaming the same thing, so we blocked his telephone number.

That's why I like animals more than most people......they're more predictable. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm not saying the neighbor is right or that dogs should be permitted to roam the neighborhood. The fact is that antagonizing one's neighbors can become much more stressful than accepting a roaming dog when a fence will solve the problem.

These situations tend to escalate and what the OP is doing is adding fuel. She has no idea what sort of people live in the neighborhood, the majority may complain and then let it go but it only takes one to slash tires, key your car, put your name, address and photo that has been altered on the web, throw a brick through your window, trash your yard...

I would rather consider the consequences and weigh those against the problem at hand. In this situation I would just put up a fence.

Sorry, I guess I just refuse to let other people dictate my life like that.

The acts you mention are illegal and a security camera would cost a whole lot less that fencing your property.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I'm convinced people post things that are so far out in left field, it doesn't even make sense, just to get a reaction from others.   

Contributor

occasionalrain... I looked the other way for a long enough.  It is now a very threatening situation in my own yard. We have decided to put in a fence but between now and the time we get it, I can't go in my own yard. I have to put my dog in my car and drive her up to another area to go to the bathroom. We probably will have to put up security cameras also.  We didn't start this.  I have to say that I would much rathr have them be furious with me than be attacked by this dog.. I guess that is where we are different.

Mad neighbors vs dead/maimed... I'll take mad neighbors

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

Yes, it was a pit, there has been several dogs ,killed by pits in the last several years,this little boy was out playing.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@joa wrote:

occasionalrain... I looked the other way for a long enough.  It is now a very threatening situation in my own yard. We have decided to put in a fence but between now and the time we get it, I can't go in my own yard. I have to put my dog in my car and drive her up to another area to go to the bathroom. We probably will have to put up security cameras also.  We didn't start this.  I have to say that I would much rathr have them be furious with me than be attacked by this dog.. I guess that is where we are different.

Mad neighbors vs dead/maimed... I'll take mad neighbors

You could do a temporary dog run maybe?    Get a cattle prod for when you go outside.   I would refuse to be run out of my own yard because of ignorant neighbors.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

First of all,i do not lie, and second you can check the portland hearld press, bangor news paper, it was confirmed it was a pit.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.