Honored Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

There are SO many - watch the court shows and 90% of the time, the VICIOUS attacks on other dogs are from Pitbulls. This breed is a MENACE. Why anyone would own one is beyond me. They're very dangerous.

@KALLIE

And those same "court shows" would still be on the air if they were about all the harmless pit bulls that are part of a responsible and loving pit bull owner? I think not. Blood and bad news and stories are what promote all types of media, YES, even TV court shows.

Ever seen a court show where a pit bull was the victim? Of course not, sponsors would drop them because of their lack of ratings. Tell enough bad things about a brand of car/food/appliances, not balanced out with the good things?

Too many accept everything they see on TV Shows as honest and fair, and I say? Time to get out in the real world more and learn by experience and not by bias by those whose only purpose is to advance their bottom line, which would be $$$$.

A "MENACE" you say? Time to look more at the 2 legged fur free creatures that own this breed. Hello, anyone home?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Contributor

Thank you for all the support.  I just wanted to add for those of you that said I did not do any research... This is a fairly new development ( a few years old ).. still alot of lots for sale. I talked to some of the neighbors before we built and they said it was a nice, quiet neighborhood.  As I had said before, we moved from another state 2 hours away and I couldn't be up here every day or every weekend to "watch" the interaction of the neighbors. I also went on the HOA facebook page and met some people there ( who all seemed wonderful)....  the pit bull and I know it's a pit because I asked the husband what breed he was and I have friends who have that breed and they are lovely however their owners are incredibly responsible.

I believe they acquired the dog while  the paper work was being processed to buy that lot and I never saw it before I moved into the house.

Honored Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

Sure they are. MOST attacks on other dogs are from pitbulls. You're just as CLUELESS as those who own them.

@KALLIE

Ah, once again the Canine TV expert, tells all us dummies, what is really happening in the world. It is amazing how a person can learn so much by staring at an electronic panel backlit by either incandescent or LED lighting.

I get my animal experience(aka expertise by your criteria) by meeting real animals, of all types and breeds, not by staring at what many call the "B00B TUBE". And you call us the CLUELESS ones?

I find that very entertaining, but nothing close to real life.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, a savvy buyer would do a bit of research. A house, a neighborhood, has to be more of a commitment,  more of an expense and harder to unload than a car. So, before one buys or builds a house they should find out what goes on, the neighborhood lifestyle, what to expect. Seems the OP didn't and now expects the neighborhood to cater to them. It's not going to happen.

They can demand, report, whatever and the dog owners may have to confine him to their property but there will be resentment, hostility, and the OP and her family will be hated. 

That may be all that happens or there may be retaliation.  

So, better to assimilate and put up a fence.

@occasionalrain

I can test drive almost any new motor vehicle for 10 minutes and know everything I want or need to know about it. My likes/dislikes/good features versus bad features, and so on.

What I guess you are saying is a person, before buying a home, is going to learn everything that can be known, by talking with a few people, and what, reading all crime and or the neighbors characteristics without living there?

Heck, people stay married to a spouse for decades before they know who they REALLY ARE, but they can learn everything about everyone in a neighborhood by doing research?

I ain't buying what you are selling when it comes to buying any home. Unless and until you live there, you can't take a 10 minute test run and know all you need to know about any neighborhood, whether in the Hampton's or in a middle class neighborhood?

Sorry, I could not agree less with your premise.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@joa

There is only so much anyone can learn before buying a home, and many times that means zero, when it comes to knowing who and what the neighbors might be.

To me, those that say research, without living in a neighborhood for a long period time, will tell any buyer everything they need to know? They are living in some fantasy land I have yet to find in my rather long life.

I just hope things work out for the better for you so you can enjoy living in your new neighborhood.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@KALLIE wrote:

Sure they are. MOST attacks on other dogs are from pitbulls. You're just as CLUELESS as those who own them.

@KALLIE

Ah, once again the Canine TV expert, tells all us dummies, what is really happening in the world. It is amazing how a person can learn so much by staring at an electronic panel backlit by either incandescent or LED lighting.

I get my animal experience(aka expertise by your criteria) by meeting real animals, of all types and breeds, not by staring at what many call the "B00B TUBE". And you call us the CLUELESS ones?

I find that very entertaining, but nothing close to real life.

hckynut(john)

READ a newspaper. I'm sure that is fiction, just like tv. LOL!!!

"eyeroll"

Yes, you are.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@KALLIE wrote:

There are SO many - watch the court shows and 90% of the time, the VICIOUS attacks on other dogs are from Pitbulls. This breed is a MENACE. Why anyone would own one is beyond me. They're very dangerous.

@KALLIE

And those same "court shows" would still be on the air if they were about all the harmless pit bulls that are part of a responsible and loving pit bull owner? I think not. Blood and bad news and stories are what promote all types of media, YES, even TV court shows.

Ever seen a court show where a pit bull was the victim? Of course not, sponsors would drop them because of their lack of ratings. Tell enough bad things about a brand of car/food/appliances, not balanced out with the good things?

Too many accept everything they see on TV Shows as honest and fair, and I say? Time to get out in the real world more and learn by experience and not by bias by those whose only purpose is to advance their bottom line, which would be $$$$.

A "MENACE" you say? Time to look more at the 2 legged fur free creatures that own this breed. Hello, anyone home?

hckynut(john)

Oh, OKAY (media expert) Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@joa wrote:

The highest fence we can build is 5 ft. ( HOA regulations ).  We are looking at a semi-private vinyl picket fence. The dog doesn't want to be friends cause the first time it happened my husband was watering our lawn and he backed my husband against the back of our house. The lady came out and got him then and just said "sorry" very normally like she couldn't care less that her dog was doing this on our property. That is when I talked to the husband and told him that this can never happen again. I asked if the dog had bitten anyone before etc... he did say he would keep it on a leash. These people are not stupid just selfish,irresponsible and dangerous.

He is a firefighter and she is a nurse.

@joa  Well, they are animal stupid!  So many people know nothing about the psyche of a dog, nor even try to learn about behavior, etc., nor even try to train them, and in the end, the animal suffers.  I would have done exactly as you did.  I was in rescue for many years, so came upon many situations, and no one loves animals more than I do, but right is right.  I wouldn't let my dogs roam the street, just crazy that some idiots do.

I was at a neighborhood meeting once wherein traffic speed was being discussed, and a man stood up to state he lost an expensive dog when it was hit by a fast moving vehicle, to which I stated that if he had kept his dog on his property, it would not have happened, unbelievable that he didn't take any responsibility for his dog being killed.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't go out of my house without some mace in my hand if I lived beside a pitbull.  Also I would go to your local city council meeting and complain.  I would certainly document everything and take pictures of their dog in your yard.  Maybe even send them a certified letter.  

Honored Contributor

It's really a shame that there is STILL so much ignorance about pit bulls out there.   There is plenty of information should one want to be educated.

ECBG - Your baby is beautiful!  Heart