Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I have a beautiful twelve year old pitt that our son would bring home for little visits before his eyes were open.  When the pup was six months, our DS got married and my DIL didn't want a dog because of problems renting.  That was more than fine with me because  I had babied him so after we had lost our beautiful chocolate lab to cancer a few years before.  

Levi is properly trained, but they do concern people.  We keep a hunter's collar on him and we have no problem.

The ladies at the CVS drive through love him!

A year ago, the next door neighbor's small white furry dog came down the driveway barking at our dog!  The white dog thought Levi was out of place!  Nothing happened.

I would never let any dog loose unless you live far out in the country.  They not only bother people, they can get hit and it is up to their owners to keep them safe.

He's a good boy and sleeps in my lap at night while I (we) read or watch tv.

Numerous people have offered to buy him.  No way!!!

Here is my "baby".

@ECBG- a beautiful boy!  We have three pit bulls in our condo and they are the best behaved and sweet.  But, I was bitten by some small little white fluffy dog.  PBS have bad reputations and they are strong but the fault is usually the owners.  Everyone shouldn't own a PB and every PB isn't bad.  Every dog has the potential to bite and no dog should roam freely. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG - your Levi is one handsome boy - LOL

Honored Contributor

You move into an established neighborhood where the neighbors accept this dog and his roaming. No one, including the neighborhood children, seem to fear him. So, instead of accepting what has been established and, if you don't want the dog in your yard, put up a fence you set about making enemies of your neighbors. 

The problem isn't the dog.

Trusted Contributor

@Patricia19 wrote:

I would never trust a Pit Bull.  You have done nothing wrong and the other neighbors are so wrong!  Have a fence put up and continue to report if the dog is out without a leash.  How many horror stories have we all heard about this breed of dog?  

There are SO many - watch the court shows and 90% of the time, the VICIOUS attacks on other dogs are from Pitbulls. This breed is a MENACE. Why anyone would own one is beyond me. They're very dangerous.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

You move into an established neighborhood where the neighbors accept this dog and his roaming. No one, including the neighborhood children, seem to fear him. So, instead of accepting what has been established and, if you don't want the dog in your yard, put up a fence you set about making enemies of your neighbors. 

The problem isn't the dog.

@occasionalrain, I often agree w/ your POV, but this time most definitely don't. That logic is like saying 'you moved into a neighborhood where one set of neighbors has loud parties that last all night long...which all the other neighbors have long gotten used to.'

Muddling through...
Trusted Contributor

@Suhse wrote:

I know several Pitt Bull's and they are all sweet, wonderful dogs.  

One of them, is a 3 year old female, that Loves cats.. She thinks 😸are the greatest things, ever. Maybe she thinks she is a cat!  Anyway, she has several kitty friends! 

All of of these dogs, however, are well trained, well socialized, and have highly responsible owners, that would never dream of letting their dog, run loose, for the dog's safety, as well as all the other considerations! 

Sure they are. MOST attacks on other dogs are from pitbulls. You're just as CLUELESS as those who own them.

Honored Contributor

You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive, a savvy buyer would do a bit of research. A house, a neighborhood, has to be more of a commitment,  more of an expense and harder to unload than a car. So, before one buys or builds a house they should find out what goes on, the neighborhood lifestyle, what to expect. Seems the OP didn't and now expects the neighborhood to cater to them. It's not going to happen.

They can demand, report, whatever and the dog owners may have to confine him to their property but there will be resentment, hostility, and the OP and her family will be hated. 

That may be all that happens or there may be retaliation.  

So, better to assimilate and put up a fence.

Valued Contributor

What you are doing is the hardest thing to do, I have been there. Somebody has to stand up for what is right and endure the unreasonable lynch mob. Being virtuous has it's own rewards, you are doing what is right, end of story. Do not let it get to you and show no fear.

Honored Contributor

People who let their dogs roam free, regardless of what breed, should never be allowed to own a pet because obviously they don't care about the pet's safety (or other peoples' safety) or well-being. I live out in the country and people do this all the time. People and other animals have gotten bit and attacked by someone's dog that was allowed to roam. These pets that are allowed to roam also go missing (I.e. Get killed by people who shoot them because they are on their property or eaten by a predator) or hit by cars all the time. It is not fair to the animals, people, or other people's pets. It is very sad and pisses me off. And our sheriffs do come out to investigate unleashed roaming animals.

Esteemed Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

@Patricia19 wrote:

I would never trust a Pit Bull.  You have done nothing wrong and the other neighbors are so wrong!  Have a fence put up and continue to report if the dog is out without a leash.  How many horror stories have we all heard about this breed of dog?  

There are SO many - watch the court shows and 90% of the time, the VICIOUS attacks on other dogs are from Pitbulls. This breed is a MENACE. Why anyone would own one is beyond me. They're very dangerous.

Because we all know everything on tv is true.......reality shows are not scripted to create drama.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.