Honored Contributor

No dog, should be able to roam,period,those that let their dogs do that,do not love their dogs,period!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

A little 7 year old boy ,was killed last week here in maine,by a pit bull.

News reports I have found do not identify the breed.

First of all,i do not lie, and second you can check the portland hearld press, bangor news paper, it was confirmed it was a pit.

My heavens, seem a little defensive.  I never said you lied.  I googled the report this morning and the two articles that came up did not identify the breed, just as I said.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@KALLIE wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@KALLIE wrote:

Sure they are. MOST attacks on other dogs are from pitbulls. You're just as CLUELESS as those who own them.

@KALLIE

Ah, once again the Canine TV expert, tells all us dummies, what is really happening in the world. It is amazing how a person can learn so much by staring at an electronic panel backlit by either incandescent or LED lighting.

I get my animal experience(aka expertise by your criteria) by meeting real animals, of all types and breeds, not by staring at what many call the "B00B TUBE". And you call us the CLUELESS ones?

I find that very entertaining, but nothing close to real life.

hckynut(john)

READ a newspaper. I'm sure that is fiction, just like tv. LOL!!!

"eyeroll"

Yes, you are.

@KALLIE

Why would I read a newspaper, hello, which is also considered a media source, which once again depends on Blood and bad news to survive($$$$$). I have spent the largest share of my life being around all types of animals: equine/canine and feline.

I don't need any media source to tell me about any of them groups, I have lived with and around them. You go ahead with your expertise on all things animal, gathered only from newspapers and your b0ob tube, and I'll increase my knowledge by actually being with animals?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

I wouldn't go out of my house without some mace in my hand if I lived beside a pitbull.  Also I would go to your local city council meeting and complain.  I would certainly document everything and take pictures of their dog in your yard.  Maybe even send them a certified letter.  

@BLH

You might want to check the statistics and percentages of being attacked by a pit bull versus a 2 legged animal (aka as humans) when you decide to carry your mace. Those 2 legged ones are much more likely to attack.

I do agree with you on ANY breed of dog, large or small, roaming around free on your property. If you don't stay in contact with your neighbors, do call the authorities and file a report/complaint. That is the right thing to do.

Save your mace for what is more likely to attack you. That would be a human as opposed to any breed of canine.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm not saying the neighbor is right or that dogs should be permitted to roam the neighborhood. The fact is that antagonizing one's neighbors can become much more stressful than accepting a roaming dog when a fence will solve the problem.

These situations tend to escalate and what the OP is doing is adding fuel. She has no idea what sort of people live in the neighborhood, the majority may complain and then let it go but it only takes one to slash tires, key your car, put your name, address and photo that has been altered on the web, throw a brick through your window, trash your yard...

I would rather consider the consequences and weigh those against the problem at hand. In this situation I would just put up a fence.

@occasionalrain

There are many that might not have the $$$ in their budget to put up a fence. I guess your theory is live with rules that break the law/spend money you may not have, to pacify these lawbreakers.

The words MIGHT and IF to me mean the same, and you can also throw in "WHAT IF"? You go ahead and live your life with "it might/what if", as that seems to be your premise.

Somebody in my neighborhood that breaks the law and I know it? No way I will let them skate because of a "THEY MIGHT or WHAT IF". I will call the proper authorities and skip the above words in CAPS?

To each be their own.

hnj

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

dp

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

John:  I usually agree with most of your posts - but not this time.

I would like to know how many pit bulls and horses you have had living in your house for a period of more than a few days or a week?  I hope you don't leave a Pit alone in the house with the cats, while you are out and about......

You may know a lot about cats (since you have a lot of them) - but sorry to say, you don't know a thing about pit bulls.  Your wife fosters dogs right??? So, maybe she has had a pit bull for a short period of time.  Wait until the day one of them attacks one of your cats - and then come back and tell everyone here how mild mannered and loveable they are.....  These animals have the propensity to do great harm once they start to attack.  They absolutely will NOT give up until they KILL.......  Pure Pit Bulls are BANNED in Miami-Dade County, Fla.  I wonder why?????

ETA:  Pit Bulls are not used by the police or the Military.  I wonder why?????

Honored Contributor

No dumb dogs just dumb owners.  Dogs that become mean are generally "mean" because of lack of training (like I said...."dumb owners").  So many people who have dogs....should not have dogs.

ANY breed of dog can and will bite given the right circumstances. Dogs do not think like people.....when will dog owners ever learn that.

There are very few dogs that can't be rehabilitated with some training.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule if they have a mental problem. Those dogs need to be put down regardless leash or no leash because if they ever get loose.....God forbid.  If you have a weapon and a neighbors dog comes at you, you have every right to use that weapon to protect yourself.

I know a dog that "happened to get ahold of" some X-lax in a neighbors yard a couple of times.  The owner of that dog would quickly learn that it did not behoove him to let his dog roam and  everything came out good in the end!   No pun intended!! (well...maybe....)

Respected Contributor

I feel for you, OP.  Here are a few good ideas:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/keep-neighbors-dog-away-yard-52287.html

If you don't want to click on the link, you can google "How to keep dogs out of your yard".

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It was identified as a Pit Bull. 

Last night in Michigan a 2 legged animal(aka human being), was identified, as driving a truck that hit and killed 5 bicyclists and sent 5 more to the hospital.

Just thought I would throw that in as a comparison and food for thought. And all these posts over fear of a pit bull?

hnj

hckynut(john)