Contributor

Hi!  I am need of some support. We just had a house built and moved into it 3 months ago. We noticed a 2 year old pit bull roaming around in everyone's yards. The next door neighbor said that the dog was theirs and he likes to roam and they let him. Two different times we have been out in our backyard in the evening and the dog comes running into our yard barking and snearing at us and our 14 lb dog. The one time the wife came out and got the dog and just said "sorry". This last time it happened was friday night and she opened her back door and we yelled to her. She just shut the door and turned off her light and left the dog out with us. We were able to get in the house and the man called the dog into their home after we got into our home. I had talked to the husband before about this and told him we need to be able to walk on our own property without being threatened. It is truly scary!  He did say he would keep him on a leash.  That didn't happen so we called the police. They said they didn't come out for those type of things but would refer it to Animal Control Warden.  My insurance agent also told me to report it to the Bureau of Animal Control. I made a complaint to the latter and both called me yesterday and said they were going to visit them and make sure the dog has current vaccinations and is licensed. They will also give them a warning. I know I did the right thing. They are friends with alot of the neighbors and I hardly know any of them. They are really badmouthing me and telling all the kids in the neighborhood that I am trying to take their dog away from them. It is just terrible.  I just feel really sad.

Respected Contributor

@joa  I'm so, so sorry you are experiencing this frightening and frustrating situation in your brand new home.  I'm generally not afraid of dogs (I jog and ride my bike all over the place), but pit bulls really do bother me because of their greater potential for harm (the jaws).  Surely, until you came into the neighborhood, they were able to let the dog roam on what is now your property, and he's become used to that freedom (and so have they).  I fear nothing will be done until after their is a tragedy, and you of course don't want that.  Can you put up a fence?  It would be a great expense, but I see no other way to ensure your protection.

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

Have you thought about putting up a fence?  We had to do that with our neighbor.  The lady next door really did not like dogs and we did have a chain link fence up at the time but we decided to put up one of those vinyl fences that is about five feet high.  It was well worth the money.

I don't know if that works in your situation.

Super Contributor

I am so sorry that this happened to you and I believe you did and are doing the right thing.  About 30 years ago when my family moved into a new home the neighbor after about 1 year got a pit bull.  We were all afraid of it and it got out a few times.  It was a terrible experience to go through however, all my neighbors were concerned with this dog so we all tried to deal with it  AND luckily he finally got rid of the dog.

Just hang in there  and this too will  pass.   Although I know that does not help right now.  I will say a pray for you.

Bookbabe

Contributor

We did inquire about a fence after the first time it happened and it will be 11k to install one. We will have to take out a loan but that may be the only way.

Occasional Contributor

Of course you did the right thing to report this dog because no dog should be running loose in your neighborhood. I'm more afraid of the two lab mixes allowed to run losse in my neighborhood than the pit bull and akita mix next door to me inside their fenced yards. I made it a point to meet both my neighbors dogs and become familiar to them while they were younger, which I think has helped ally any fears I might have had of them.

I have spoken to one of my neighbors about the 2 labs running loose because I knew he was more diplomatic than I and had a better relationship with the lab owner. Since then the labs have been mostly in their yard.

I think the suggestions you received so far are good ones. The most important thing to protect your family, dog and any visitiors you might have, is to immediately install a fence. Even if this is an expensive solution for you, it will provide some peace of mind and security. Then I would try and speak with some of your other neighbors and get their feedback on the loose dog. Perhaps there is one of them with a relationship with that neighbor who might bring home the point better.

Honored Contributor

@joa

"He did say he would keep him on a leash.  That didn't happen so we called the police. They said they didn't come out for those type of things"

I find this hard to believe.  Your city/town does not have a leash law?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't have property without some sort of fence. Anything can come in, besides the neighbors dog. (people etc.) Can you put up temporary fence just round your back door for your own dog?  How many times did you ask the neighbor about the dog?

I would have asked a few times nicely. I think there maybe problems for you, if you are the "new neighbors" who just complained. I agree their dog should not be free to roam, without supervision. My last resort would be to call animal control. The good thing is it appears the dog is not agressive, or it would have bit someone by now. Not all pitbulls are mean.

Esteemed Contributor

I have two chihuahuas.  They are my KIDS.  They are friendly and easy going.  Animal control stopped me and asked me one morning if I had seen a Collie that was missing.  I told her that my chihuahuas had not barked so I doubt the Collie wandered anywhere near the area.  My KIDS are really alert.  What came out of her mouth floored me.  She told me the SHELTER did not keep Chihuahuas, they "killed" them because they were dangerous and mean.  So you can see I have mixed feelings about certain dog breeds.  I do believe it is the owner in many cases and yours seem more dangerous than any pitbull or chihuahua.  I did bring them out to meet her and you should have seen the expression on her face when they were sweet and kind and loveable.  

However it is a Pit Bull you have a right to be frightened.  With that said not all Pit Bulls will attack, my daughter has one and she is a delight.  But with a neighbor like that, the PB mirrors the owner.  You need a fence and you also need to stand your ground.  You have a right to be safe and also to feel safe.

Please notice my picture... that is Buttercup and Bailey.... 

Honored Contributor

I feel for you.  How awful to have a pit bull randomly in your own yard.  You did the right thing.  Please investigate if there is a leash law in your town.