Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

My sister and husband live on a lake property where everyone has 2+ acre sites. They have a dog, and the put in electric underground fencing over a portion of it to keep their dog in their yard. It takes work and time to train the dog, but these invisible fences work. Perhaps the OP could ask their neighbors to do this. But, based on what kind of dog parents they seem to be, they might not have what it takes to train their dog. Poor dog.

I have the invisable fence for my three goldens, but honestly i think if you had a dog that really wanted to get to a person ,or animal they would go throughit, for dogs that are agressive,they need a tall sturdy fence.

@goldensrbest Et al, my property is like the one above. In have Invisible Fence also and it even goes into the water on the lakeside.  That means, especially in winter, my dog will not cross the ice.

As you note, without the proper training, this system is worse than useless  as the dog does not understand it's boundaries.  Furthermore, my Invisible Fence operator refuses to use this system on aggressive animals.  I believe that is a corporate policy and it is a good one.  That system is perfect for my Labrador Retriever who loves the enjoyment of her full property and is a homebody.  It is not suitable as a method of containment for an aggressive animal.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

To the OP....When you called the Police did you tell them that Pit Bulls were running wild and that you are scared for your life and the life of your pets? I would call every darn day and complain! Hard to believe with all the news stories about Pit attacks that they would totally ignore you. Keep calling and I would get other estimates for that fence. That seems a very high price. Please take control of this nasty situation before someone gets seriously hurt. I live in the country and we have stringent leash laws here. Loose dogs pack up and chase and kill livestock and that is totally unacceptable. Loose dogs get shot! If I or any of my neighbors saw loose Pits roaming and chasing they would not be roaming long. Keep calling the Police! 

I completely agree with @silkyk.  Not only would I be calling, but I would be keeping a record of the calls and asking for the name of the person at the police station to document that as well.  Once you start asking for names, people get that there will be an accountability in the event of an attack.  You may get a different reply when you start doing this.

I would be writing HOA, local Councillor or whoever your rep is and keeping the paper trail.  

Terrible to have to do this to have what many take for granted which is a safe haven in your own home environment.  LM

Honored Contributor

I would recommend against making a nuisance of oneself with the police as well as overstating the issue.

What you have is a dog accepted by neighbors, you move in and now there is a problem. Most will think you are a trouble maker, including the police.

I have to wonder why the builders didn't complain about the dog. How is it that none of them were attacked?

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I would recommend against making a nuisance of oneself with the police as well as overstating the issue.

What you have is a dog accepted by neighbors, you move in and now there is a problem. Most will think you are a trouble maker, including the police.

I have to wonder why the builders didn't complain about the dog. How is it that none of them were attacked?

@occasionalrain, with respect, no one said anything about overstating the issue.  OP feels she is in danger.  It is not out of line to inform the police about her situation and seek their advice on what actions are available to her, if any.  What matters is how she feels, not her neighbors and not the builders.  Have you ever truly feared a dog?  For some people, it is debilitating.  I am a dog owner and, for the most part, I love dogs but I do get that there are some some that should be feared.  LM

Contributor

I have not seen the dog in quite a few days. Neighbors may be away.  We are getting our fence put in this week.  It is a vinyl 5 ft fence.  When this happened the police did get in touch with animal control and they visited the neighbor with a written warning. I have the direct number to that officer and was told to call her anytime I see the dog in my yard. Also, the bureau of Animal Control ( it's under the dept. of agriculture ) also visited them with a written warning. I have documented everything and am getting great advice from my insurance agent. Our particular company doesn't cover pit bulls and many other breeds.

I have talked to some neighbors and they are very supportive towards me.  I'm in my 50's and alot of them are retired. The pit bull owners are in their 30's... not that age has anything to do with being irresponsible and dangerous dog owners. They just have no regard for anyone but themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

Hard to believe that animal control would do nothing about a roaming pit bull? Isn't there a leash law in your state? Very scary and annoying situation. And hard to believe that your state would allow a roaming pit bull or any dog to be unleashed.

Esteemed Contributor

Electric fences will only keep some dogs in and nothing out of your yard. 

If it was not this dog roaming, it will be another.  Putting in a fence to protect your dog and let you enjoy your back yard will be worth every penny.

When ever you see any dog roaming you should always call animal control, no dog should be allowed to run loose.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Sounds like a former friend of mine.  He has two pit mixes and let's his sliding glass door open for them to come and go as they please.  Yard is fenced but I often see him open the front door and calls them out when he'd go to get his mail.  This "friend" is  wonderful to his animals but to his neighbors - not so much.  He was gone a few days and someone was coming in and feeding the dogs but remember, he'd leave the back door ajar so they could get out.  Neighbors complained of the dogs barking nonstop all night while he was gone on a trip and his response was "it's what dogs do".  A teen in the neighborhood got bitten by one of the dog and he was angry - cuz, you know, it was obviously the kid's fault.  

This was someone I worked with and didn't know real well till a bunch of us retired at the same time and we began to do things together.  His attitude on everything seems to be - "rules are for other ppl to follow, not him or his family".   If either dog hurts someone my bet is he's in huge trouble cuz his homeowner's insurance does not know he has these two animals.  And I don't know about ppl here - but every once in awhile when it comes time to renew my homeowner's insurance, I get a questionnaire to fill out - and one question is if I have a dog, trampoline, or swimming pool and, if I have a dog, the breed.