Occasional Visitor

I would never trust a Pit Bull.  You have done nothing wrong and the other neighbors are so wrong!  Have a fence put up and continue to report if the dog is out without a leash.  How many horror stories have we all heard about this breed of dog?  

Esteemed Contributor

I have not seen this reply yet:  Anyone who opens the door and lets their dog out unsupervised to roam the neighborhood, regardless of how "nice" the dog is- they are obviously not picking up after their dog's droppings. I know of no one who wants to encounter that in their yard. Document any and all times you see the dog in your yard with videos amd photos, including dates and times and keep after the ACO to enforce the law.

Honored Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

It doesn't matter if the dog is a pit bull or a yorkie, someone's dog shouldn't be in your back yard or anywhere it doesn't belong.  But please FTLOG, let's not start with that old chestnut about a Pit Bull's jaw being different, locking, etc. because that is not true.   

I'm quite certain the fact that it is a Pit Bull was purposely made a part of the story to make it sound more dire because Pits have a bad reputation.  Is it even a Pit?  People misidentify dogs as Pits all the time.  

That being said, you shouldn't have to incure the cost of a fence to keep anyone's dog out of your yard, regardless of the breed.   You must be allowed to put up a fence since you got the cost but there are some developments that don't allow fences to be put up.

I would have a talk with the owner and tell him point blank you are extremely uncomfortable with his dog, or any dog, being allowed to roam around a neighborhood.  I would tell him that he needs to keep the dog in his own yard or you will call Animal Control. 

Under no circumstances would I get any kind of BB gun, stun gun or whatever and shoot the dog.  I question anyone's mindset in doing that to an animal. That is abusive.            

Honored Contributor

Re: Pit Bull next door

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It doesn't matter if the dog is a pit bull or a yorkie, someone's dog shouldn't be in your back yard or anywhere it doesn't belong.  But please FTLOG, let's not start with that old chestnut about a Pit Bull's jaw being different, locking, etc. because that is not true.   

I'm quite certain the fact that it is a Pit Bull was purposely made a part of the story to make it sound more dire because Pits have a bad reputation.  Is it even a Pit?  People misidentify dogs as Pits all the time.  

That being said, you shouldn't have to incure the cost of a fence to keep anyone's dog out of your yard, regardless of the breed.   You must be allowed to put up a fence since you got the cost but there are some developments that don't allow fences to be put up.

I would have a talk with the owner and tell him point blank you are extremely uncomfortable with his dog, or any dog, being allowed to roam around a neighborhood.  I would tell him that he needs to keep the dog in his own yard or you will call Animal Control. 

Under no circumstances would I get any kind of BB gun, stun gun or whatever and shoot the dog.  I question anyone's mindset in doing that to an animal. That is abusive.            

It it is not abusive if you are protecting yourself from danger on your own property or just walking down the street and being attacked.  If a dog is going to attack me or my dog....I am not concerned with the well being of that attacking dog as far as what might happen to it.  I love animals and thank goodness pepper spray has been the only deterant I have had to use.

Contributor

My friend was walking her 14 year old, deaf dog on a leash on the neighborhood sidewalk 2 weeks ago. A pit bull in a  back yard pushed open the drive way gate that was not latched and proceeded to attack her dog over and over again. Surprisingly he is still alive, after a $500 vet bill. The owner came out with hedge clippers and beat the pit bull several times with them  but  he would not let Buddy go for quite awhile.  Animal control says they cannot make the owners surrender the dog, apparently because he bit a dog and not a person. We surely hope children in the neighborhood will be ok this summer when they are playing outside. You just can't be too careful

Esteemed Contributor

Anyone who encourages their dog to roam the neighborhood, regardless of breed, cares only for their lazy selves and has great disregard and disrespect for both their neighbors as well as their dog. @joa, do not be intimidated by these jerks. I suspect. the other neighbors will thank you for what they should have done before you moved there.

Respected Contributor

So I don't have pets, for many reasons, but I too don't think you should have to erect a fence because of that dog. I agree with others who say that every time it sets one paw in your yard, I'd be calling animal control.

Let me say this to you - we have a beach house that we are in every summer weekend. Recently, one of the other neignborhood owners had a friend staying in his place that had a pit. The guy was walking the dog and he stopped to talk to us. I saw that dog coming on the leash and almost had a heart attack. I asked...is that a pit bull - just to be sure - he said yes it is, but he's ok...not aggressive (yea, right). That d*** dog eyeballed me the whole time, so I went inside. When I came to the door to see if they had left, it charged the door...jezuz...the owner said Oh I am so sorry, he's never done that - again... yea right. We let our neighbot owner know about it and he was pretty upset the guy brought the dog, as he had asked him not to.  To me, any animal can become aggressive if it is felt threatened. I do not trust them at all and we had dogs all our lives as kids. My parents always, always said - don't trust them - have fun with your dog, play gently with them, but never, ever think it won't bite the hand that feeds it. Gives me the goosies.

Honored Contributor

Agree with the others that fencing is the best idea.   Fences make for great neighbors!  Smiley Happy

Odd that you can only build up to 5'.  The usual standard is 6'.  Anyway, even a 5' fence should make a huge difference.  If this dog is a jumper, then we're back to calling in on the dog if they don't leash him and keep letting him run the neighborhood.

There is a dog on my street who used to get out and roam.  Found her in my front yard one day qrapping on my lawn.  I knocked on the window to get her attention and tried to 'shoo' her back home.  That didn't work, so I went out there and further tried to 'shoo' her home.   She earned the name 'Crazy Dog' and was growling and posturing at me, so I had to call Animal Control.

Fortunately, she doesn't roam anymore and, in fact, she is fairly old now so she probably couldn't even jump the ridiculous 3' fence they have.  The problem, however, was never the fence.  The problem was them opening the gate and leaving it open.   No brain, no pain!    Fortunately, she never got hurt and, to my knowledge, never hurt anybody else.

Trusted Contributor

I know several Pitt Bull's and they are all sweet, wonderful dogs.  

One of them, is a 3 year old female, that Loves cats.. She thinks 😸are the greatest things, ever. Maybe she thinks she is a cat!  Anyway, she has several kitty friends! 

All of of these dogs, however, are well trained, well socialized, and have highly responsible owners, that would never dream of letting their dog, run loose, for the dog's safety, as well as all the other considerations! 

Esteemed Contributor

Your HOA has rules about how high you can build fences but no rules about roaming dogs?

Granted, I don't know much about HOAs, but don't they have meetings?

I would bring it up with the HOA.

I would also use ALL legal means to get these people to control their dog  -  (good luck with that).

They are the ones that should go into hock for a fence - not you - even if you build a fence, what about the other neighbors? They will still be vunerable to this roaming dog.

The owners are the ones who need to build a fence.

These aren't people I would want for neighbors, to put it mildly.