Trusted Contributor

Re: Pet sitting fee

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn  I see you are a "what if" person too, hence the reason you accompanied your wife when she was meeting someone for the first time.  Nothing wrong to be a what if type person.  I'm sure you take all kind of precautions in your home and in your life out and about specifically to address all the "what ifs" that may crop up.  Us too.  Cat Very Happy  I'm sure your wife is a great cat person to look after someone's precious four legged friends.  Too bad we live many hundreds of miles away in a city of car jackings, attacks on seniors that not only physically harms them but steals from them their life long held possessions.  Not too keen on trusting out in our neck of the woods. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Pet sitting fee

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@sunshine45   I would never pay $100.00 per day...it's your money to spen as you wish, but that is just to much in my opinion, but again it may depend on the area of the country.

@Mom2Dogs 

i am sure it depends on the area of the country, but $100 a day for pet sitting/housesitting is well worth it to me.....i dont personally consider it out of line at all, especially for my peace of mind AND knowing our dog can stay in his own home.

when we are away i would not want someone there just 2, 3, or even 4 times a day to check to make sure the dog is okay or has his needs met. i want someone with him in case anything happens AND to make sure he is not lonely or upset......again, peace of mind.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

we pay $100 a day for our pet sitter to pet sit in our home AND also stay there. we make sure there is plenty of food available in the house. we also give him a tip on top of his usual fee. he also takes great photos of our dog and sends them to us daily, along with any updates. love that our dog can remain in his own home.

@sunshine45 

Sounds like you are happy with you Pet Sitter. My wife does everything you mentioned, except for $40 per day. Many she sits for she also medicated for certain problems.

In the 5+ years since she started her business, as far as I know, she has not raised her price. For me looking at inflation and everything I buy costing more?

Like all her clients, the reason they hired her, was/is their pet never leaves their home.

hckynut 

@hckynutjohn 

i am sure she is a GREAT pet sitter and for what she is charging it is a bargain for sure. you should tell her what some of the others across the country are paying/charging for this care! 

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Personally, I would prefer a daily rate rather than a per visit charge.  Based on 4 visits, $40/day is high to me.  Where I board our big dog, they charge $23/day based on his weight/size.  They have food for feeding included in that rate or clients can bring their own, which we do, but the rate doesn't change. 

Valued Contributor

I am not trying to be ugly or mean but if you knew it would be $40 a day on some days, I am not sure what the beef is or why the question about if this is reasonable. It is a business to her which is how she should be approaching it. Not a favor to you as friends. Sounds like she named her price and you agreed to it and she did a good job and a loving job. A win-win. I think that is reasonable and your dog got attention 4 times a day some days. You trust this woman, an important thing. Maybe you thought this was too high? I just kinda think it was a good bargain for all of you guys and the dog. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

i am sure she is a GREAT pet sitter and for what she is charging it is a bargain for sure. you should tell her what some of the others across the country are paying/charging for this care! 

@sunshine45 

I read a few of these posts to her about what others are paying, some even for just dropping in a few times a day. 

Talked with her a couple years ago and got nowhere. At that point I realized it is her business and unless she asks me for suggestions concerning it? Mums the word.

I ran my adult hockey league as a hobby for close to 30 years, never made a profit. After I retired in 1991, and helped start a World Wide adult league here? Took a look at what players in that league were willing to pay, and scratched my head.

Here I am charging 1/3rd the amount to play more hockey games, I decided it was time to make my hockey league a way to supplement my pension. I doubled the charge the following year, and from then on it became a Business for me. I ran my league for another 21+ years before I decided that was long enough.

My wife never questioned the financial part of my hobby/business. She did however question why I let certain players into my league.

Thus what she does with her Pet Sitting business is 100% her call. As for the posts here that I read to her, she just listened, shook her head at times, and said nothing. To me it was "subject dropped"

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I just looked at the prices for the swankier place I was talking about.  It looks like the most expensive room is a suite with a private patio for $82.00/night.  The one nice thing about this particular place is that they are attached to a vet clinic so if something should happen, your dog is right there.  There are a lot of services that are surcharges such as doggy daycare, nightly snacks, play time either in a group or singly.  The charges could quickly add up.

My dog wouldn't be interested in the play time or doggy daycare.  She's older and getting lazy.  LOL  

My issue with this place is it is huge and I don't know how they can adequately handle all the pets they take in.  The place will be full during spring break vacations.  I also had an issue with them over their policy on Pit Bull and Pit Bull mixes even though my dog is neither.