Honored Contributor

@sktchy   The person that dog sat for us is someone from our church.  While I was not upset about the price,  $10.00 per visit...which consisted of letting her out to go potty and feed her..and and make sure sure she was 'ok' did seem high to me, but again we knew her and trust her in our home.

There is no way we could take a week vacation if we were charged $10.00 per visit.

I agree with you and would set my fee to each customer depending on their requests.

Honored Contributor

When I am on vacation for more than 2 days, I have a very nice kennel where we board our dog.  The rate is $37.00 per day for their largest kennel. 

There are dog hotels in my area and depending on the room you choose, you can pay close to $100.00 a day.   

Honored Contributor

we pay $100 a day for our pet sitter to pet sit in our home AND also stay there. we make sure there is plenty of food available in the house. we also give him a tip on top of his usual fee. he also takes great photos of our dog and sends them to us daily, along with any updates. love that our dog can remain in his own home.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Question for anyone: do you pay your petsitter before leaving on vacation or when you return? Or a down payment at first and the rest later? Very generous to tip along with the regular fee.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

Re: Pet sitting fee

[ Edited ]

My question is what were you paying her per day when the dog stayed in her home?

I ask this because approximately $30 a day for pet sitting is a bargain, you can trust her, and is the cost of doggy love. Besides, did you have an arrangement how often she'd come over? Next time specify how many visits per day you are willing to pay for. Get a ring camera on your door and count the times she is in and out. 

It it were me I'd charge a lot more, I'd feel $10 was not worth my time to go to the owners each time. Slepping over 4 blocks is still slepping over four blocks. Maybe she has nothing else to do or wants to up her fee that you are paying her. Either way, consider that you haven't been paying her enough in the past perhaps? WIth inflation and taxes going up, $10 a visit is peanuts. If she is your friend, consider this part is a business arrangement and expect her to make some money that any other pet sitter would charge. You can look on the app Rover and see how much they charge in your area. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Growing  I must be too nice.  I feed and take care of my neighbors cat and don't charge her anything.  I go over twice a day and clean their litter, change their water and even play with them.  Seems like the right thing to do but I understand people charging for their time.

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

we pay $100 a day for our pet sitter to pet sit in our home AND also stay there. we make sure there is plenty of food available in the house. we also give him a tip on top of his usual fee. he also takes great photos of our dog and sends them to us daily, along with any updates. love that our dog can remain in his own home.

@sunshine45 

Sounds like you are happy with you Pet Sitter. My wife does everything you mentioned, except for $40 per day. Many she sits for she also medicated for certain problems.

In the 5+ years since she started her business, as far as I know, she has not raised her price. For me looking at inflation and everything I buy costing more?

Like all her clients, the reason they hired her, was/is their pet never leaves their home.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn , will she come to Ohio?  Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:
@hckynutjohn , will she come to Ohio?  Woman LOL
@Lipstickdiva 
Well, she has crossed State lines to Iowa!  But, if we drive 4 miles East from our home, we are in Iowa. 
She has sat in out State Capital which is 50 miles from our city, but I think that is her furthest sitting job. I don't want her to see this because knowing her?  
=^..^=
hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Pet sitting fee

[ Edited ]

I would think that pet sitting whether it's at your home or someone else's is not easy since many dogs and cats will bolt if the door is ajar.  Also, do pet owners set up a camera somewhere?  I too find it difficult to believe that you could find someone that wouldn't look through your closets or look through drawers.  If they have kitchen privileges they could accidentally break one of your favorite drinking glasses or accidentally drop something valuable.  Basically you're asking someone to sit still and watch tv or read a book and remain focused on just that for how many hours you have hired them.  Even those who peak in once or twice a day....as soon as that door is open many animals will dash.