Honored Contributor

Re: Perfect time to go to Great Britain.

[ Edited ]

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Yes, the vote is a done deal. However, that petition now has over 3 million signatures, way more than the amount required to bring a discussion to Parliament. They're calling it Regrexit. Apparently, many people voted as a simple protest against general policies and  admitted afterwards that they had not really looked into the implications of their vote. They were just showing their anger, but at what price? I don't think it can be reversed. The results are in. They'll have to live with the repercussions but so will the rest of the world. Incidentally, ISIS is applauding the results, pointing to Eurooean instability, division, and uncertainty as an advantage for terrorists. Nobody can truly predict all the effects. Time will tell.

@Vivian

So the petition consists basically of people who're saying "I cast my vote, but didn't really mean it, so I want to vote again"?     Good grief.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

Yes, the vote is a done deal. However, that petition now has over 3 million signatures, way more than the amount required to bring a discussion to Parliament. They're calling it Regrexit. Apparently, many people voted as a simple protest against general policies and  admitted afterwards that they had not really looked into the implications of their vote. They were just showing their anger, but at what price? I don't think it can be reversed. The results are in. They'll have to live with the repercussions but so will the rest of the world. Incidentally, ISIS is applauding the results, pointing to Eurooean instability, division, and uncertainty as an advantage for terrorists. Nobody can truly predict all the effects. Time will tell.

@Vivian

So the petition consists basically of people who're saying "I cast my vote, but didn't really mean it, so I want to vote again"?     Good grief.

Techies analyzed the IP addresses of the petition signers and found that 70% of them don't even live in the UK.  Of those who do, how many voted?  This petition is a total scam.

Honored Contributor

@Ms X wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

@Vivian

Techies analyzed the IP addresses of the petition signers and found that 70% of them don't even live in the UK.  Of those who do, how many voted?  This petition is a total scam.

Oh good heavens I never would have thought of that.  Thank you for this post @Ms X as it is more than something to consider.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Q4u - It's not a question of whether they "feel" European or not.  Great Britain is part of the continent of Europe.  Or would you like to suggest we create an 8th continent just for them?  To argue that the British are not Europeans is playing with semantics.

And don't forget, they built the Euro Tunnel, so they are now physically connected, too!

However, enough discussion.  I would hate to think jingoistic attitudes are going to be the rule of the day with the separation.  JMHO.

..... Cuba is part of the North American Continent and yet is is not considered part of the United States, so just being part of the Continent is not an automatic inclusion.

Also how a nation's free population "feels" is usually (unless they are under a tyrant's rule) the way a country has historically gone........ so it'll be interesting watching all this going forward.

Great debate, I've really enjoyed it..... Woman Happy 

Cuba is a country.  The United States is a country.  Of course, Cuba is not considered part of the United States.

However, Cuba is part of the North American continent, as is the United States.  You're comparing apples to oranges.

(Your reasoning would be equivalent to saying England is part of France because they are both on the same continent and no one is saying that.)

--------------------------------------------

You've been stating consistently that Britain is European because it is part of the Continent of Europe.  Britain is it's own country. (Even while part of the EU). And Europe is a compolation of separate countries (Even while part of the EU). 

Based on that premise, Cubans should be called Americans because the island is part of the North American continent.

Of course, that's not true.  But based on your premise regarding the placement of countries = continents..... Cubans should be called Americans.

So, since you agree that Cuba is it's own country as well as the United States being it's own country..... we can't call Cubans, Americans.  So to be consistent, we also can't call Britains Europeans.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u

I find it difficult to believe you are having so much trouble understanding this ....  Neither Canada nor Cuba should be called "American".  

Let's try another continent ...  Africa.  There are 54 nations (from Algeria to Zimbabwe)  that comprise the African continent, including little Madagascar which is surrounded by water.  These nations' names aren't overridden by the fact they are part of Africa.    (see map below).   

While I can appreciate that you think England stands alone, even the most casual glance at an accurate map will tell you otherwise.   

Map of African National Independence

Respected Contributor

Regarding the petition fir a new vote I was just listening to the BBC London news and evidently they are analyzing who voted and found 70% of the voters are ex-pats living out of the country.  How true this is who knows.  I live out of the country / lots of my friends also in France, Spain too but I did not vote.   None of them want to live in England but still voted.

Just my personal opinion I felt as I do not live and experience the day to day living I should not vote as we do not plan to go back to London could not afford it now!

I did just spend 3 months at home and was very sad to see how things have changed for my family and friends but after all this upheaval things will get better.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Q4u

I find it difficult to believe you are having so much trouble understanding this ....  Neither Canada nor Cuba should be called "American".  

Let's try another continent ...  Africa.  There are 54 nations (from Algeria to Zimbabwe)  that comprise the African continent, including little Madagascar which is surrounded by water.  These nations' names aren't overridden by the fact they are part of Africa.    (see map below).   

While I can appreciate that you think England stands alone, even the most casual glance at an accurate map will tell you otherwise.   

Map of African National Independence

I am referencing what has been a recurring theme on this thread......  Which has been "If a country is part of the Continent.... it is automatically part of that Continent and should be referred to as such!  That premise is not necessarily true, and that's all I've been saying, or trying to say. 

You are actually proving my point with yet another country.

Madagascar was liberated from the French in 1960.  It is now on the margin of mainstream African affairs despite being a founding member of the Organization of African Unity (which was replaced by the African Union.)   But this country IS NOT AFRICAN, even though it is part of the African Continent.

"Although located some 250 miles (400 km) from the African continent, Madagascar’s population is primarily related not to African peoples but rather to those of Indonesia, more than 3,000 miles (4,800 km) to the east. The Malagasy peoples, moreover, do not consider themselves to be Africans, because of the continuing bond with France that resulted from former colonial rule, the island developed political, economic, and cultural links with the French-speaking countries of western Africa."

So my point is, and has been .....that just because an island is geographically part of a Continent, does not mean the people on the island consider themselves identified as part of the Continent.   As per my statistical proof, Britain also does not consider itself European.  Regarding Cuba.  I was making an analogy regarding a Continental Island that is an independant t country.... at NO TIME did I consider it anything other than an analogy.

I have had equal disbelief that you (and another poster) are having so much trouble understanding the point I was trying to make. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

@Vivian

Oh good heavens I never would have thought of that.  Thank you for this post @Ms X as it is more than something to consider.

@MsX, @momtochloe      That information comes from the camp of one US presidential candidate, so I personally question the veracity of that information.  Although anyone is free to believe what they will.

I am not sure how they would have even determined where someone lived by just an IP address?  For example, my good friend that lives in England is on holiday right now.  I don't know if she signed the petition, but if she did the IP address would be indicate she is outside of England.  Doesn't mean she doesn't live there though.  And there are British citizens that live & work in other European countries.  Doesn't mean they don't have a vested interest in the outcome. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

@Vivian

@MsX, @momtochloe      That information comes from the camp of one US presidential candidate, so I personally question the veracity of that information.  Although anyone is free to believe what they will.

I am not sure how they would have even determined where someone lived by just an IP address?  For example, my good friend that lives in England is on holiday right now.  I don't know if she signed the petition, but if she did the IP address would be indicate she is outside of England.  Doesn't mean she doesn't live there though.  And there are British citizens that live & work in other European countries.  Doesn't mean they don't have a vested interest in the outcome. 

@pitdakota I thank you for this and even in the span of less than an hour so many other viewpoints have come to the surface so I more than appreciate your post.

Personally, I was more than surprised at the outcome of the vote but for me the people have spoken.  It isn't like this conversation just started a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I rolled my eyes at the newest petition(s).  For me, you had your chance to speak and you lost the vote.  Now we need to figure out what to do going forward.

I hope other nations take the time to see what happens within the UK and don't rush to judgement or action as I think sometimes we do enough of that these days in order to satisfy an immediate need and don't have the longterm goal in mind.

We have a lot going on here, let's try and take a breath and construct a clear path going forward that will be of benefit to everyone.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

We live in a global economy, whether we like it or not. What the Brits did is going to cost them dearly and we will feel the effects too. Take a look at your 401K in a couple of weeks. The EU is going to come down quite hard on Britain in the very complicated negotiations that will ensue. Cameron should never have taken this gamble. I understand that politicians on both sides of the pond have been ineffective in dealing with today's problems but this change is going to have horrendous repercussions.

@Vivian

The news is saying that England is going to suffer financially ... and will deal with a recession.  They are still talking about a do-over vote and many are (supposedly) saying they didn't really understand what they were voting for.   How is this even possible?   

Well, we shall see.   I just hope it doesn't affect the U.S. too much.