Valued Contributor

Pepper jam,salsa,pickles ..Oh my...

[ Edited ]
  • Today was cool and beautiful early.Out on a walk with all the fur kids,I proceeded to discuss my plans..I think they were listing to me,they trotted on with a bounce in their step.Mommy was going to be busy today!Canning day!I love the old ways,of preparing healthy,home grown meals for my family.It brings such satisfaction,such happy to the people who  will enjoy it.I think the world has lost it's old ways,rushing around,convenience often comes first.So,I try to keep my little part of the world a step back,more simplistic,more hands on.I love vintage aprons,have hundreds.If you could see in my kitchen you would see big long pigtails,A big bandanna wrapped around them,an apron tied around myself and a busy ,happy smile.Those beautiful jars,shining like diamonds ,just waiting to be filled.Bushels of goodies ,picked yesterday,right outside my kitchen door.What joy,silly to some ,like going to church for me!I find my soul in old fashioned tasks,hanging laundry, cleaning ,making life feel good for our family.Soon those jars will be glistening with good ,fresh nutrition,feeding the lives of all who sit with us.I am blessed and thankful for this perfect day,and the days to come...So, I send you some of these blessings,for simplicity,beautiful days and peaceful dreams.Take time to just live, see and feel....Hugs dear friends and my love....MaryAnne
Contributor

Re: Pepper jam,salsa,pickles ..Oh my...

Thank you Mary Anne for this sweet post.  It reminded me of my sweet mother and "home."  She canned so many things.  Although I have not canned anything with a "canner", I do have her canning equipment, and I am hoping to learn one day.  After my sweet mother passed away, I found myself making crock pot apple butter and some freezer type jams for the first time, all of which I enjoyed very much.  It seemed to make me feel closer to my mom.  I was raised on good garden foods. We always had plenty of good, healthy foods canned and/or frozen to enjoy.  Oh, she made many things....green beans, squash relish, kraut, many varieties of pickles, jams, jellies, canned okra, apple rings, many relishes, etc..  My husband's favorite was her spaghetti sauce.   It was awesome.  I think there is nothing better than a simplistic life.  I love to be at home and work in my kitchen.  Canning is hard work, and many times, it seems people aren't appreciative enough when others take the time to bless them through the work of their hands and time.  In this day and time, people spend so many hours outside of the home, working to pay for their home, and it is a shame more people can't just enjoy  being at home more.  I truly love to be at home and am so thankful for it.

Your walk with your fur babies reminds me of my talks with my little one...he is my special little guy, and we take lots of walks and have some good talks too!   I do believe he listens!   Sometimes I even have to "spell", so I'm pretty sure he listens....(you know...when you mention "BATH"!)

I always enjoy your heartful posts.  I hope your canned goods turn out beautiful and you get a lot of enjoyment from them.  Bless you! 

Valued Contributor

That was so nice of you to reply.The good old days are still here,just not a priority for many...Being home,making a home is indeed a gift.Bless your furry one, they are so precious!May the blessings of your good life be many...I enjoy you too,love you and hugs...MaryAnne

Esteemed Contributor

@Still keeper of the koi - What a beautiful post, MaryAnne. Your posts always bring a smile to my face. May you enjoy the peace of canning all of your home grown goodies.

Honored Contributor

@Still keeper of the koi---you should take pictures of your canned things so we can admire. I use to water bath can with a girlfriend years ago--tomatos, peaches, pears---and they were so pretty!! Was alot of work but so good during the winter time. And helped SIL with canning in her enormous canner too. Good memories!!!