Respected Contributor

People who live in glass houses.....

[ Edited ]

shouldn't be creeped out by thunder & lightening storms.    

I am in the basement right now.  I don't live in a glass house, but the entire front of my living room is all windows and we live amongst the trees.

Sounds like the storm is moving on now, I can go back upstairs.

Honored Contributor

Re: People who live in glass houses.....

Lucky you.  We haven't had a thunder storm for several years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Lucky you.  We haven't had a thunder storm for several years.

have heard faint thunder for a couple of secs a couple of times in the past 17 mos...also have had 1 full day of rain amongst some showers here and there.

Esteemed Contributor

I worry more about wind....2 neighbors have trampolines in their back yards and I worry that they might hit th house if it gets too windy....

Honored Contributor

Thunder storm, some hail I guess, and winds past through here this a.m. My little fur ball didn't like it, but she tucked in behind my knees and went back to sleep for me. Me, never got back to sleep. Oh well, that's why dogs invented naps.

Esteemed Contributor

I also worry most about wind. I live in a heavily wooded area. We have huge, gorgeous trees around us but I always fear what once happened. During a severe thunderstorm years ago, I saw a huge tree in my yard literally lift out of the ground and fall over...fortunately away from the house.

One of my beagles was the greatest early warning system during storms. When storms would become dangerous, she would run down to the basement. We always followed her because her record with the Weather Channel was 100%. Sometimes she even beat them to it. We figured she could smell the danger and/or perceive the falling barometric pressure.

Honored Contributor

I used to love a good thunder storm, but then I grew up and reality set in. I see the damage the lightening can do, and when the winds kick up and uproots trees, people can be not only injured, but have lots of headache repairing the buildings they fall on.

We sit rather low, and I've gotten to the point I hate storms, as the rain runs down here and at times we have washed out drives and property flooding. 

An area near here yesterday got three inches of rain in 20 minutes. That isn't safe or fun.

So anyone who says 'lucky you' is wishing for the wrong thing. Some places need rain, yes, but the damage thunderstorms can do....well the only luck is if it doesn't happen to you. 

Honored Contributor

I used to love a thunderstorm, especially at night.  I still would except my  dog is terrified of them which makes it hard on me if it happens at night.

We had a little storm this morning and she was on top of me.  Luckily it stopped before I had to leave for work so I was able to get her outside.     

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Oh well, that's why dogs invented naps.

I thought cats invented naps.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lucky you if you live where there aren't many thunderstorms.  Most of the time from spring to late fall, we have one almost every day. We have removed all our tall pines - those that tower over the house.  During Katrina we had 14 down on the house - major repair issue. House was more or less cut in half. I would never want to live where there are tall trees near the house again.  

Last year lightning hit one of our next door neighbors tall pines, bounced off the ground and rose to hit the downspout to one of our bathrooms.  Turned our entire house into a big pink ball, messed up the roof and scared the living daylights out of me. (I got encased in the pink ball! ) Since there are also lots of tornados in our area as well, I now spend my thunderstorm hours in an interior closeet that's nearly soundproof. Much safer and much less frightening. I have a soft chair there and usually drift off to sleep.