Honored Contributor

People Who Have to Be At Work At 4 or 5AM in the Morning!

It seems like I wake up around 3:30 or 4:00AM to go to the bathroom and (of course) the TV is on.

I can't imagine what time people who have to be at work around 4 or 5:00 in the morning go to bed?  They couldn't have much of a life because I would think they go to bed at around  6:00 or 7:00 PM.

They get off of work, probably take a nap then it's the same thing all over again.

I remember reading something that said people who work those hours and/or all night often have health problems because they are totally going against their body clocks.  The world is geared toward regular hours.

I've met people who go to the grocery store at midnight or one or 2 in the morning and love the fact that no one is there.  My friend I eat with now who's retired.  Got totally burned out and retired at the age of 60 because she'd be at work at 5:30AM (driving 1 hour into DC).  She worked 10 hour days and had Friday off.  She said eventually she had trouble sleeping and just couldn't get up anymore.  She still has trouble sleeping, perhaps because all those years she messe with her body clock?  Think so?

My daughter in Denver works from home.  She's an early riser.  She's at her desk by around 6:00AM.  This is so foreign to me because I'm not a morning person..

What are your ideas on this?  Do you know anyone with hours like that?

Honored Contributor

Re: People Who Have to Be At Work At 4 or 5AM in the Morning!

That would be a tough one. I used to get up at 5AM. and that was bad enough. I guess you can get used to anything. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

It seems like I wake up around 3:30 or 4:00AM to go to the bathroom and (of course) the TV is on.

I can't imagine what time people who have to be at work around 4 or 5:00 in the morning go to bed?  They couldn't have much of a life because I would think they go to bed at around  6:00 or 7:00 PM.

They get off of work, probably take a nap then it's the same thing all over again.

I remember reading something that said people who work those hours and/or all night often have health problems because they are totally going against their body clocks.  The world is geared toward regular hours.

I've met people who go to the grocery store at midnight or one or 2 in the morning and love the fact that no one is there.  My friend I eat with now who's retired.  Got totally burned out and retired at the age of 60 because she'd be at work at 5:30AM (driving 1 hour into DC).  She worked 10 hour days and had Friday off.  She said eventually she had trouble sleeping and just couldn't get up anymore.  She still has trouble sleeping, perhaps because all those years she messe with her body clock?  Think so?

My daughter in Denver works from home.  She's an early riser.  She's at her desk by around 6:00AM.  This is so foreign to me because I'm not a morning person..

What are your ideas on this?  Do you know anyone with hours like that?

If the worked 5am to 1pm, bed at 8pm and sleep 8 hours till the next day. They have from 1-8pm free. It's all relative no matter what shift you work. This is assuming an 8 hour work day. Many many people work shift work.

Esteemed Contributor

My cousin goes in at 4am and he gets up at 2am (lives in Houston), he always looks tired. He used to be a long distance truck driver so he is used to being up but now he drives locally only and he says its very different. When I was working full time, I got up at 5:40a and hated it. 

Honored Contributor

My SIL worked for ConEd.  She would drive from her home in NJ to NYC and be at work by 5 am.  Worked until 1 pm.  My brother had similar hours.  There are advantages--less traffic.  Get home early enough to take care of chores.  Early to bed early to rise certainly applies.  I don't think either suffered any ill effects.

Regular Contributor

People who work odd shifts  often do have have health issues but it's not because the world operates on a different schedule, people can compensate for that.  It's because our bodies run on the circadian rhythm.  It's our body's natural clock and it signals us when to sleep and when to wake and it's governed by sunlight and  certain hormones.  When we intefere with that, health issues can occur.  My boyfriend actually works Tue-Friday, 5am-1pm.  He gets up at 3:30 and is out the door by 4:10, one reason why we do not live together.  I'm a light sleeper.  He goes to bed at 9pm which means he only gets 6 hours of sleep on work nights.  He makes up some sleep on the weekends and Fridays but he has no choice, he has a 16 year old son and he's a very involved dad.  He picks up his son from school and drives him to all his sports stuff and keeps an eye on things in the house until the kid's mother gets home from work around 7pm.  He has hypertension, he gets chronic headaches and he eats too much junk during the week because he snacks rather than eating full meals.  Sometimes he goes to bed at 9 and can't sleep.    However,  I know other people who manage their weird schedules better than he does but I'm sure it's hard.  

Respected Contributor

I am a retired old lady. However, my cat decides what time I will get up. It could be 2 A.M., 4 A.M., 5 A.M., his choice. Cat LOL

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

Working in hospitals, I was always an early (though not the earliest) shift. I worked early - and got off early - most of my working life. I started at 5:30 sometimes in order to get outta Dodge on a Saturday and still have a "weekend" left. I also started at 6, 6:30 or 7 am. 

The technicians that I knew who worked the truly early shifts, like 4-4:30 am, went to bed by 8-9 pm. They couldn't have gotten "enough" sleep; I never got "enough" except on weekends. But it wasn't until maybe 10-12 years ago that having a constantly interrupted night's sleep (getting up to potty, street noise, neighbors, kitty, etc) really started to get to me both physically and emotionally. I just couldn't get going and be awake at 6 am any more.

I now sleep in or lounge as late as I want unless I have an appt. Bliss!

But, I did it a lot of years :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I got up at 5AM every morning. I had to be at work by 8 and it took an hour to get there. Plus I had to make lunches.'

When I was working 2 jobs. I went stright from one job to the other and worked until midnight. Then I would go grocery shopping. It was wonderful, the store was empty and I still am tempted to go at midnight even though I no longer work 2 jobs.

After leaving work at midnight, it would take awhile to wind down. I probably averaged 2-3 hours of sleep a night. Not sure how I did it but I did - guess I had more get up and go.

In fact I would have preferred to work at 4 or 5 AM. The traffic would not be nearly as bad. I probably would have lessened my commute to less than an hour. Plus, I could get work done before people stated coming into work and needing figures, reports and stuff from me.

Honored Contributor

People's body clocks are all different.  I've worked with people who work steady midnight because that is when their body needs to be awake. Other people who had to occasionally work an overnight shift are totally miserable because they absolutely can not sleep during the day. Personally , I enjoyed working afternoon and if it didn't interfere with my personal life so much it would have been my choice for a steady shift.