Respected Contributor

People Who Grate on Your Nerves

After seeing so many comments about people not liking something about a particular host, I wonder why this is, in a basic sense. We don't know these hosts, only the personna they choose to let us see or how their employers choose to have them act. There are hosts that I just don't care for but I really don't know why. What makes us bristle at first glance of people that we meet on the street, without even getting to know them? Thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: People Who Grate on Your Nerves

I know exactly why I don't care for a couple of hosts.  It has nothing to do with looks, hair , clothing etc. It is about attitude and treatment of other hosts and guests. I will not explain, because I'm not interested in being poofed. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maybe because the personna they show on TV is different than what they are in real life.  However, I don't think it should be that way.  If so, then that is an act that they are doing and it shouldn't be that way.  If you want to act, then go into movies.

When I see a supposedly adult host acting like a two year old, I tend to think that is the way they are off camera and I can't accept that.  Therefore, the hosts I don't like..........to me, they probably act that way off camera and it turns me off completely.

I don't care if I don't know them.........all I see is them on TV acting like idiots and I don't care to know them anymore than that, because again, they probably always act like that.  If they aren't that way in real life, then why act that way on TV?

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 , I understand. I know this may be a somewhat volatile post, hope not but you never know. I know why I don't like certain hosts but always wonder why they do that to me. Definitely when someone outwardly disrespects someone else, it's a turnoff from the get-go.

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

"What makes us bristle at first glance of people that we meet on the street, without even getting to know them? Thoughts?"

@Carolina925 

At first glance? Nothing!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

It's interesting that you bring this up. I think I have been watching too much QVC lately because recently most of the hosts are annoying me for one reason or another!

As for people outside of QVC, I don't like rude people - and there are so many of them out there - and I don't like fake people. I usually have good instincts about someone very early on when I meet them and can tell how they are going to be.

Also, those who don't possess much self-awareness can be annoying. For instance, someone who just talks and talks and has no idea the person they are talking to has lost interest...or just talks and talks to fill air space.

Maybe it has to do with me being an introvert, I don't know...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We all have differing personalities so what one likes some may not!  I have never bristled at first glance at anyone so do not get that.  I am not a person who is bothered by much and even if it happened in most cases there is a solution - walk away, turn the channel, stay away from anyone that really bothers you as much as possible.  I will not let anyone control my life by being so bothered by anyone the way some here say they are so bothered by others.  Can't change the way others act but I can change how I react to their behavior and that goes a long well for anyone's mental health!  Why let others control your life - complaining only makes the complainer more bitter each time they complain?  Take for instance the hosts that some abhor.  They often negatively see all situations as a host being rude to a vendor, acting childish,  while most see it as just friendly joking.  Others may be sensitive about something (which is their problem) and see a host saying something they find as consdescending, bragging, etc. I was raised not to judge without knowing someone.  Life is way to short to be judgy about trivial things!   

Trusted Contributor

First impressions are really important.  I think it's very possible to have an immediate dislike for a new host because they remind you subconsciously of someone you disliked from the past.  Someone who was condescending or loud, pretentious, a blabbermouth, rude, conceited, untrustworthy, had an annoying voice, etc etc. Or maybe something about their physical appearance that reminds you of someone you disliked.  Once you feel that way, it's hard to see them differently.

Like the old expression says "You never get a second chance to make a first impression."  

Respected Contributor

@Carolina925  I think you said it all and there's really no answer.

Why do some like hot and spicy vs plain.  Personal choices and how one perceives individuals.

I used to be a Q junkie, almost 24/7, it was compulsive watching.  Thank goodness it was a phase, now if I flip once or twice a day it's a lot.

They lost me totally when they had the newbies sit on the couch with the laptop repeating what people posted on social media.

Honored Contributor

As far as people in general, I think that we are hard-wired to react to those that our brains sense as being possibly "dangerous" in some way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland