Valued Contributor

Peonies never smelled so sweet...

I love flowers, all flowers but ,I have come to realize that the simple act of seeing and smelling them is a huge gift.It represents more than just the act..I now know seeing after a very long hard, chain of events, It represents  persistance.Needing  to find the sun,warmth and beauty. Much like life it needs to move, and most importantly the flexibility To adapt to lifes ever changing landscape.This years  peonies were especially perfect.Big full flowers bursting with heavenly scent.I gathered a basket full,stopping to breathe in all the heaven I could,I imagine my loved ones smiling at this joy,perhaps they were filled with the same...It became overwhelming , sad,but happy,so I sat on down on a hill, I  looked around, I swear I could see my loved ones here, the fields were full of the noise of life once more...I sat for a while longer,soft rain started to fall.It felt warm and sweet ,I could smell fresh hay from a back field.The sky was so blue,everything had sprung to life .Somehow I was just noticing!Where had I been? I know now this is the gift of life, life coming back...It comes when you are ready,i saw the Rasberry bushes teaming with green berries, the fruit trees with little blossoms, Life goes on...

So what I have learned  as continue my journey,the beauty remains, things happen despite  our wish for life to always remain the same, change is inevitable,we must learn to live right now..

So I send my friends here this wish, that you will see many beautiful wonders,live without walls,smile just because,and most importantly know we have purpose,love and the promise of the sun.I hope you find your basket full of peonies, hugs,love,MaryAnne

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Peonies never smelled so sweet...

@Still keeper of the koi  The beautiful deep purple iris were what did it for me (first), then the peonies and oh, so many others gorgeous things in nature. Life does go on. Enjoy the sun and dance in the rain! Blessings.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still keeper of the koi  Crying - I'm crying here!  As I read I felt like I was there with you sitting on that hillside, just smelling the summer air. You led me down a path very picturesque, of the beautiful flowers in my yard that are very precious and meaningful to me. We may have some similarities but I love how every garden is different and portrays the ones that mean the most to us. Don't you think?

I too love flowers. I love to watch them come back to life and even though my spigelia bloomed last year it's the same yet different this year, just one example. It is still as lovely this year as last.

Life is ever-changing, it ebbs and flows. Some days are sweeter than others. When they are not as sweet that's when we need to take the time to stop and smell the roses and the peonies again.

Respected Contributor

@Still keeper of the koi  As always, that was beautiful, MaryAnne.  I've always been a nature girl too, and your post reminded me of my childhood growing up in the country.  I spend many hours in my mother's garden and in the woods.  I felt so close to nature then.  My mother had those peonies.  I loved them, and all her beautiful flowers, she had planted in her younger years before her life began to change.  I would love to walk with you through the gardens and the meadows one day.  Heart

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Still keeper of the koi,

Peonies are my favorite flowers! Thanks for the post,

http://www.stevensandson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Pink-Peony-resized1.jpg

Respected Contributor

@meallen616  Your pic makes me want to do what I've always done with peonies.........just shove my face right into it and inhale!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@Still keeper of the koi Thank you for your beautiful post. It reminded me of a picture of my mom in her late teens sitting on grassy hillside surrounded by flowers and kittens. I didn’t see the picture until after her death. Precious memories and compared to Eternity, we are here for a short time. Things will be better but in the meantime enjoy the flowers. They make me smile and your lovely post does too. And I don’t want to omit my other sweet friends on this forum.

Esteemed Contributor

@meallen616Thanks for sharing your picture!  My peonies are that color. They are from my grandmother's home in Omaha and my mom's home in Lincoln. Gram passed away in 1980; mom passed away last summer. Due to our strange weather this spring, my peonies didn't bloom in time for Memorial Day. It saddened me, but I was able to take a bunch of iris, which my mom loved the last few years of her life. (Wish the peonies lasted longer in a vase!)

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ours didn't get the typical downpour that drenches them and makes them look terrible. Peonies are beautiful.

Valued Contributor

@Still keeper of the koi

Thank you with your lovely thoughts .......

What is so rare as a day in June?

Then if ever come perfect days.

Then heaven tries earth if it be in tune

And over it softly its warm ear lays...

Whether we look or whether we listen

We hear life murmur or see it glisten.

That's  all I can remember lol   ---  But, truly some days in June are so indescribably beautiful.  Soft breezes, sunshine......and, of course, the gorgeous flowers!!