Honored Contributor

Re: Paying your bills with a zero interest credit card ?

@homedecor1 wrote:

@chrystaltree

Yup you & others are right they pay everything with card & pay off every month while earning rewards if ca$h or airline miles.

I was brought up cc were a bad thing my father always paid cash no matter what it was.  The cards I have haven't been used in years for any major things I pay cash too...guess it's the new way of life!

It's not that new.  Smart people know how to make credit and credit cards work for them.  They know how to avoid the pit falls.  There never was anything wrong with credit cards and their still isn't.  People were the problem.  I speak from experience 25 or so years ago, when I was poorer and dumber I dug whole for myself but I learned my lesson and when I returned to work after my sahm years, I turned things around.  We pay our CC balances off every month too, except for one that we use for high dollar purchases.  However, lately rather than using CC's, I use debit my debit cards.  I know I'm losing out on some of the advantaces of a CC but that's ok.  Debit cards are easier and no bill to pay.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree

I realize it's not new as my mailbox is full of these offers everyday! I normally just toss them unopened.

Yes, some people are not savvy with their money.  I have friends who have major cc debt and I'm glad I don't. I looked at my monthly expenses and frankly, for me I don't think it's worth it. My expenses are minimal.

I use my cc when necessary and debit or cash for daily purchases. It's been working for all these years no reason to change it now (for me).

Valued Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@chrystaltree

I realize it's not new as my mailbox is full of these offers everyday! I normally just toss them unopened.

Yes, some people are not savvy with their money.  I have friends who have major cc debt and I'm glad I don't. I looked at my monthly expenses and frankly, for me I don't think it's worth it. My expenses are minimal.

I use my cc when necessary and debit or cash for daily purchases. It's been working for all these years no reason to change it now (for me).

@homedecor1, same here, I love $0 balances, we also use our debit card for day-to-day purchases,as our expenses are minimal also,  we have 1 VERY low interest rate CC, that pays 1.5% rewards, that we use for purchases over $200. & pay it off before the due date..I think we had enough last year for 4- $50 gift cards, used them for birthday gifts this year..I was happy with that! 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@chrystaltree

Yup you & others are right they pay everything with card & pay off every month while earning rewards if ca$h or airline miles.

I was brought up cc were a bad thing my father always paid cash no matter what it was.  The cards I have haven't been used in years for any major things I pay cash too...guess it's the new way of life!

It's not that new.  Smart people know how to make credit and credit cards work for them.  They know how to avoid the pit falls.  There never was anything wrong with credit cards and their still isn't.  People were the problem.  I speak from experience 25 or so years ago, when I was poorer and dumber I dug whole for myself but I learned my lesson and when I returned to work after my sahm years, I turned things around.  We pay our CC balances off every month too, except for one that we use for high dollar purchases.  However, lately rather than using CC's, I use debit my debit cards.  I know I'm losing out on some of the advantaces of a CC but that's ok.  Debit cards are easier and no bill to pay.

Why do you feel the need to be so rude and snotty to others?

Honored Contributor

We have one card that gives us hotel points for buying.Then we use those points to stay free when we travel. We charge everything on that card ,groceries,gas,eating out, we pay some bills with it online,even pay for our newspaper. When the bill comes we pay it off - never carry the balance. We are staying right now,tonight,in a Hilton Inn and suites totally free.

Honored Contributor

I think that if you are very disciplined with your use of credit (Don't buy on a whim, always pay the balance, monitor what creditors are billing you etc.) You might be ok.

But I know for me, paying as much as possible in cash (groceries, gas restaurants etc.) Helps me limit my spending. Using a card for everything would get me off track.

Honored Contributor

If you use it for everything ,like to pay at the doctor,buying glasses,the dentist,copay for Rx.  - it is more convenient than carrying around cash plus you get the rewards. Using the card all the time also helps you keep rack of the money you spend every month.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

First, I'll admit I only have house bills and 1 0 balance airline card (I book all my flights on it to get miles).  I also have a "cash rewards" card bal. 0.

At the pool today the ladies were discussing how they pay all their monthly bills & food, etc. using a credit card to get "cash rewards" & by the conversation some get big $$ at the end of the cycle.  They said they'd been doing this for years.

I have been trying to understand how to do it but it's not making sense to me. I believe they said they "charge" the charges to their card.

Does anyone do this & if so, can you explain to me (I must be dumb cuz I'm not getting it!)

I never carry balances on my cards so I assume every month you'd pay card off.

thank you!

I have a  dear friend. She used an air mile card to pay for must things. She had her card hacked alot of times.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

If you use it for everything ,like to pay at the doctor,buying glasses,the dentist,copay for Rx.  - it is more convenient than carrying around cash plus you get the rewards. Using the card all the time also helps you keep rack of the money you spend every month.

This simply isn't accurate or true in everyone's case.

I tend to overspend when I'm paying with a credit card. If I go to the gas station and I have $15 cash that is what I will put in the tank and make it last till the next payday. If I charge the gas, I'll just fill the tank and not be as discerning with how much I drive and use.

If I would charge at the grocery, I'd make many more impulse purchases.  All this would eventually lead to carryover balances,resulting in more unnecessary money being spent.

I'd wager that a significant number of people who pay everything with their credit cards spend more than they would if the used cash or debit, and carry a balance more than they admit. 

People should do what works for them,and know their weaknesses. I know that I do.This 

Honored Contributor

You also have to be careful doing this because even though the card may be paid off monthly, the balance that is on that card for the month affects your credit score.

So if you only have 1 CC and it has say a $3,000.00 limit and you charge $2,100 on it monthly for all bills, that's a high balance on your card and could pose a problem, depending on your situation.