Honored Contributor

Re: Paying your bills with a zero interest credit card ?

@homedecor1, yes I do this....all our gas purchases go on the credit card as well as when I grocery shop, I try to do 1-2 large grocery shops a month and just pay with my credit card.  I also have auto pay with my cable bill and our cell phone.  There are a few other bills that are on auto pay as well.  I pay the credit card bill in full each month.

If you travel you don't have to worry about not paying a bill. 

The extra cash from using the card is nice but it does not make you rich, ha!

You can apply your points to help pay the balance on the card or have it deposited into your checking account, at least that is how mine works.

Frequent Contributor

Good Morning. I have a Chase Unlimited Rewards Visa card. I earn 1.5 percent on

every purchase i make. Our bill is always paid at the end of the month. We

allow all the !.5 chase rewards to build up and once a year we use it for extra,fun

vacation purchases. Everything we do, dental bills,, food shopping, auto gas, 

restaurants or whatever else goes on that card monthly and gets paid off. The

chase rewards builds up fast.. $$$

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I think what the OP is asking is how you can use a credit card to pay the regular monthly bills that you receive like utilities, car insurance, newspaper subscriptions etc., etc.  OBviously buying on line or physically being in a grocery store or a dry cleaners or your vets office you just hand over your card or enter the information on line but how do you use a credit card to pay a bill you receive in the mail.

Almost all my bills have a section to fill out to pay by credit card.

Honored Contributor

thank you everyone. To me it was hard to understand as I really don't use my cc much but if they can make me $$$ why not. 

I use it when im in the store for purchases yet never knew you could pay bills. Hmmmm might have to think about this & I don't carry balances so may be a good thing.

I learned something new - these ladies must be doing the right thing! Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

I've been paying everything I possibly can with my charge card.  A lot of my monthly bills can be paid on line with my charge card.  I get a major amount of cash back every year. And...I always pay my balance every month with a check.  This is the only way to go if you have a cc with rewards.  For me it is hundreds of dollars back each year.

Honored Contributor

I've thought about it from time to time but I would either have to go through every single website to pay the bill or set up automatic payments and that's something I do not and will not do.

Esteemed Contributor

I look at it this way.  INmorder to use a rewards type credit card To pay a bill like utilities, car insurance, newspaper subscriptions, real,estate taxes, Imaould have to,go,to,that entities web site and set up the ability to,have them charge a credit card that I put on file with them.  THat means that all those databases now contain my credit card information That triples the number of databases where my information is stored and thus puts my information in the hands of more hackers who might be able to access those databases.  THe ability,to earn cash rewards does not IMHO offset the chances you are taking by having your credit card info,spread hither and yon.

Honored Contributor

They charge everything and when the bill arrives they pay it off.  Then they do it again.  Not much to understand, unless I'm missing something.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I think what the OP is asking is how you can use a credit card to pay the regular monthly bills that you receive like utilities, car insurance, newspaper subscriptions etc., etc.  OBviously buying on line or physically being in a grocery store or a dry cleaners or your vets office you just hand over your card or enter the information on line but how do you use a credit card to pay a bill you receive in the mail.

Every one of those things accepts major CC's.  You can pay by phone or you can pay online with your CC.  Utilities, cable, newspaper everything.  That cannot be new information to you.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree

Yup you & others are right they pay everything with card & pay off every month while earning rewards if ca$h or airline miles.

I was brought up cc were a bad thing my father always paid cash no matter what it was.  The cards I have haven't been used in years for any major things I pay cash too...guess it's the new way of life!