Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paying At The Pump Changed!!!!

I would be more scared of having my card hacked at a drive thru or eat in restaurant. Have used my Debit Card for years at the gas station and have never had any problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

Hi @ECBG  You can either go on your bank's website or call them (or the phone numbers on the cards) and ask for a touchless "tap" credit card and debit card. There's no longer a need to insert a card into a slot, having to touch what numerous people have touched before you, etc. I think the way the tap cards work is nifty.

@Desert Lily 

Thank you for the information. I just contacted my bank and they sending me out replacement cards. 

Costco has changed when you are getting gas that you have to leave your card in the slot for awhile,  tap in your pin, and then remove the card. 

Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@ECBG ...My DH had the same experience as you did.  He swore up and down it was like that so that you'd have to go inside and be tempted to buy a soda or something ! hahah...I told him he 'has to read' the machine's instructions.  Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

@sarahpanda 

Cute!  I always, well...usually go to the same place to get gas!  Durn!!!  They had the audacity too change on me!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac 

As I clearly "forgot" when I pulled into Wawa (NJ) got out put card in, nozzle in tank & it was pumping when this guy came over and said "****** you are a pro"  I said "thanks I live in FL used to it!"

He then added "well, now you've got to step back in the car it's illegal for you to do it!"...

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤣🤣🤣

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

We use credit at the gas pump and haven't had a problem. 

Why doesn't New Jersey let people pump gas? It seems that it would save money by not having to hire extra to do the job. Maybe they don't trust many to use the pump properly, thinking it might cause accidents? Just kidding, but I don't understand the reasoning behind it. 

NJ Has a lot of weird quirky things but I really don't want to pump my own gas so I'm totally cool with it

Does anybody really want to pump your own gas with all that gasoline smell

Honored Contributor

I have never minded pumping my own gas.  

when I lived in CA, we'd sometimes drive to Oregon, where we couldn't pump our own gas (at that time, perhaps it's changed).  Takes longer, costs more.  

if you sit in your car while someone else does it, it still smells. 

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

when I lived in CA, we'd sometimes drive to Oregon, where we couldn't pump our own gas (at that time, perhaps it's changed).  Takes longer, costs more.  

@september  I'm in NY on the NJ border. Gas in NJ is cheaper. Unless there's a line, it doesn't take longer.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

Totally agree.  The attendants will start to pump someone else's gas and you sit there and wait.  And wait.  

Don't feel any less a woman for wanting to pump my own gas!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   Can't speak to what gas costs in your state, but my goal when I get to a gas station, is to be in and out in three minutes or less.  This is for about 12 gallons, or 3/4 tank for me.  I have my card out and hop out and fill up quickly. 

I can say the same thing works for me when using the self check out at Home Depot, or another retail store.  It also takes much longer when you have to wait for someone else to do it. 

Respected Contributor

I always use cash at a gas station.