Respected Contributor

Re: Paying At The Pump Changed!!!!

@ECBG ...My DH had the same experience as you did.  He swore up and down it was like that so that you'd have to go inside and be tempted to buy a soda or something ! hahah...I told him he 'has to read' the machine's instructions.  Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Esteemed Contributor

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

remember the good ole days,when a gas station attendant pumped gas for you?

been going to the same family-owned gas station since 1970.....have never pumped my own gas!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG I always use my debit card as a credit card where a pin is not necessary.  All card readers should allow for that.  Everywhere I get gas has notices on the pump to use debit cards as credit cards.  

Esteemed Contributor

My banker suggested I go inside to pay. My card was compromised at a gas station a few years ago. Now I do that. No problem. Not fun in the c-c-c-cold midwest winters, but it's more secure.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

I'm from New Jersey and  Jersey girls don't pump gas!  New Jersey has never allowed customers to pump their own gas.  I have no idea how to do it.  When we go on vacation out of state, my husband pumps the gas.  I really don't know why NJ does not allow that. 

Honored Contributor

I have NEVER paid for gas with any card... I always pay cash.

Honored Contributor

I've always been paranoid about using a card at a gas pump, since it seemed like the best place for thieves to put something in the machine to harvest card info, so I've never done it either.

If I'm going to need to put gas in my car I just plan to have some cash, go inside and give the cash and they activate the pump where I'm parked.

Honored Contributor

Our local Get-Go gas stations put new readers in so it has been this way in my area for several months now.   

Respected Contributor

My gas stations have always had you leave the card in the slot while entering the PIN.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Luvsmyfam wrote:

remember the good ole days,when a gas station attendant pumped gas for you?

@Luvsmyfam   In NJ you aren’t allowed to pump your own gas. Always pumped by an attendant. I’m 72 and have never pumped gas.

@proudlyfromNJ  when we lived in New jersey, I felt so important having someone pump the gas while i sit in the car.

Moved to Fl, pulled up to a gas station and waited and no body came.  I told my sister and she laugh and say, this is Fl you better pump your own gas.