Respected Contributor

Re: Paula Deen said WHAT???????

Thank you Venezia, you said it all....

Honored Contributor

I don't think that was offensive or racial in any way.  What?  Is there something wrong with having skin the color of milk chocolate????  Is it shameful?  It's no different than saying someone has a peaches & cream complexion or that makeup comes in caramel or toast colors. 

Respected Contributor

Here is what I think--you are looking for something that is really nothing....

Respected Contributor

I am so sick and tired of everyone thinking everything is offensive and racist!  There was absolutely nothing wrong with what Paula said.

Honored Contributor

She has no filters (even on DWTS), but this time I don't think it was meant to be  mean.

Honored Contributor

@cali-girl wrote:

I dvr'd her clothing shows on evine, and was watching them today.

Paula commented that one of her tops looked especially great on an African American model: "... with her milk chocolate skin and black hair."

Paula had been commenting on other models' hair color and fair skin etc, but to me, this comment crosses the fashion commentary line!  And with accustions of racism in Paula's past history, probably not something to be said, ever! 

What do "y'all" think?

I think she is trying to make up for her previous history of being a you know what. Nothing that comes out of her mouth would surprise me. And typical of her to refer to someone's complexion in relation to food. LOL

Frequent Contributor

What do I think? I think you're trying to start trouble. And I'll be glad when this thread gets poofed!! 

I don't think Paula could say anything that you wouldn't find fault with because obviously you don't like her. 

~ It's a good day when I didn't have to unleash the flying monkeys! ~
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't think that was offensive or racial in any way.  What?  Is there something wrong with having skin the color of milk chocolate????  Is it shameful?  It's no different than saying someone has a peaches & cream complexion or that makeup comes in caramel or toast colors. 

What makes it awful is her past actions and attitudes on this subject.  Everything we say will be taken in context of who we are and what we have expressed about ourselves.  That's the teaching moment here.  Whatever her past intentions or actions as SHE sees them, she must realize that.  Yet she goes ahead and says things that she surely must realize might be hurtful or sound arrogant and uncaring about others.

Our words are judged by how they affect others aren't they?  If you know something might be hurtful, or sound callous coming from you, but you go ahead and chrip about it, what does that say about you?  That's my point.  It says it's more important to her to say whatever she wants than to chance hurting and belittling others.  That doesn't make me respect her.

Valued Contributor

Mally said one of her shades would work for the most Chocolate of skins....

CRICKETS....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cali-girl wrote:

I dvr'd her clothing shows on evine, and was watching them today.

Paula commented that one of her tops looked especially great on an African American model: "... with her milk chocolate skin and black hair."

Paula had been commenting on other models' hair color and fair skin etc, but to me, this comment crosses the fashion commentary line!  And with accustions of racism in Paula's past history, probably not something to be said, ever! 

What do "y'all" think?

Is there something wrong with milk chocolate skin and black hair?  Your posts seems to imply that.  What if Paula talked about something that looked good with blonde hair and blue eyes?  Would that bother you?  You are making a value judgment about chocolate skin/black hair vs. blonde hair/blue eyes, it seems to me. 

It sounds to me as if Paula has a healthy appreciation of the beauty of chocolate-colored skin.  It's unfortunate that some take this as some kind of a racist slam.

I agree with Paula that there are many beautiful women and handsome men who have chocolate skin/black hair.