Frequent Contributor

Re: Pasteurized milk isn't raw, but pasteurized almonds are?

This is first I've heard of this and we always keep raw almonds on hand. Appreciate the thread @Ane1Care.

*rememberance of my little sister. i miss you*
Frequent Contributor

@lytlesweetie wrote:

This is first I've heard of this and we always keep raw almonds on hand. Appreciate the thread @Ane1Care.

Yes, thanks for the information.

Super Contributor

I think the secrecy is what really bothers me. I feel like they are lying to people by not saying that they are pasteurized and claiming to be raw. Change the wording to uncooked, or say somewhere that they are pasteurized and the method used. Let the consumer be the judge on which sells better.

Just like with artificial sweeteners, while deemed safe by the FDA, they still label it on products so you know. A lot of people, my self included, won't buy a product if it has aspartame in it, others couldn't give a rats patoot what was in it. Same here. The FDA has deemed a chemical safe--the same one used in the production of antifreeze and hydraulic fluid--, yet doesn't want the consumer to know about it, without some digging. Be up front about it.

The government is always saying how they want Americans to get healthy, yet they hide a chemical, and allow companies to basically lie to the consumer. Sells, money, is the priority in this. Not the consumers health, it may have been in the beginning, but it certainly isn't now. Or else, why be so secretive?

I'm sure there are some who thought they had an issue with almonds, but in fact it was the ppo that their bodies were reacting to.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think because our population is so large, and foods are continously being transported across the country through various changing temperatures and climates, the companies have to use something to protect the public from mold/mildew/bacteria/etc.  Also, people are very busy now-a-days, and often don't stop and actually closely inspect  our foods/snacks and/or don't take the time to thoroughly wash certain foods, etc.  It's a fast moving society.  Actually, even though I'm not a fan of chemicals, all in all, overall, it's a possibility that these methods are protecting the general masses/public.  It could be a lot worse, in other words.   Just thinking out loud, right or wrong.

............ ALSO: I'm thinking about some/many consumers (us) who just 'throw' into our handbags, cars, etc. snacks that are exposed to a variety of climates/temperatures; sometimes creating moisture within the packaging, etc.   Hot to cold, cold to hot, etc.   Whether within our homes or in our cars, etc.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I never would have thought that the product labeling could be deceitful but now that you found out about almonds...I have to wonder about all other labels.I wanted to say that purchased almond milk has added chemicals and so the best you can do at this time is buy organic and make your own.There are recipes online and it isn't that hard to do.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter just sent me an article on pasturized milk that was so disgusting I don't think I can ever drink milk again.  I guess that includes ice cream also since it's made with milk.

If anyone wants the link I will post it.

In the meantime I will drink almond milk from now on.  From the dairy farm practices of "milking," I don't see how buying organic would be any safer.  They still have to get the milk out of the cow.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986