Honored Contributor

I have painted a lot (walls, furniture,) in my years..I had some work done in my bathroom and I have to repaint that room.

I was watching a video on 'how to'.....thought maybe I could/should learn something new.  This video said to cut in at the ceiling then paint that wall...I thought and always cut in at the ceiling and the baseboard, windows, doors then paint the walls.

What do you think...does it really matter?   I have never noticed a 'line' where the cutting in ended and where I started painting the walls.  Any thoughts?

Super Contributor

I hired painters and watched them.  They cut in then painted that wall.  Dad was a paid professional painter and he did cut in the ceiling and base boards then painted that wall.  

If it was a large room it could really show, especially if you open a new can of paint for the walls.  

Respected Contributor

I have the same thing in my bathroom. We won't be doing it over. Will be selling in the spring. I think buyers will notice. We will see.

Honored Contributor

We cut in every where first and then paint the walls.  I've never noticed a line.

Honored Contributor

Fudge....I did not want to have to use a brush and roller at the same time...to me it gets messy and I feel rushed if I have two 'wet' items at the same time.

DH would probably help but I work better alone.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We cut in every where first and then paint the walls.  I've never noticed a line.

Ditto!  I get all the prep work done first, then painting the walls is much easier and quicker.  I've never noticed any difference either.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter I prefer it that way as well...for me it's less of a mess.