Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 

Haven't seen you on the board and just checking in hoping you are ok. No need for details, I just wanted to say that I was thinking about you and hoping all is well. 

Honored Contributor

@FlyersGirl 

I had a few hearts from her yesterday, so she's still here!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom  Thanks for the update! 

Respected Contributor

@FlyersGirl   Well, so nice of you to think of me so here are the longwinded details!  I was AWOL from around noon on the 6th until Comcast hooked me up in my new townhouse rental here in DC on Thurday the 7th.  All I had was a radio to keep up with the news.

The company that I hired to dismount the TV from the living room and move to the new place backed out last minute on the night of the 5th because "all DC roads would be blocked off" according to him.  8 p.m that night I found a replacement and was charged 2/3 less for the same job.  This firm was also Virginia based so I can't understand what the original company's problem for an early a.m. appointment was.

So @KingstonsMom is correct--between packing up a two bedroom townhouse rental to move to a different one that is 1 and 1/2 blocks away from original place in Capitol Hill SE it has been crazy.  

Original landlord is putting one family townhouse on the market.  Finding a satsfactory place with equivalent features has been quite the ordeal.  But new young landlord is very nice--she told me afterward I was her first choice and she hoped I would say yes after I was shown the place.

Had to make some tradeoffs to stay in same area:  No 1/2 bath on first floor, but even higher ceilings and much more and better cabinet and counter space in the kitchen and a huge gas cooktop and electric wall oven and broiler.  And full size HE front load washer and dryer instead of the small apartment size toy "stack" that most places around here have.  I have successfully washed and dried a load of laundry.  Needed the internet to figure it out by reading the manuals online.

Just as nice a full bathroom on the second floor.  Still have two bedrooms, but smaller, one is really more like a spot to put a baby crib so I think that will turn into a reading spot.

No back yard or storage shed, so much less interaction with nature and no grilling outdoors.

I do miss the 1st floor powder room as does my Significant Other.

In any event, we are coping with unpacking, rearrranging,  and so forth.  Still have many books to unpack--probably need to buy bookcases.

Still have not mastered the "Nest" type thermostat but will. My SO is kind of grumpy but I try to find things for him to do to keep him busy so he won't have time to kvetch.  Right now he is putting a kitchen cabinet organizer together.

Thank you for thinking of my whereabouts.  I'm weary, but thankful that neither of us has been sick and praying it remains that way.   Had so much more exposure between movers, technicians, van rental, apartment viewing, etc., that it is a miracle we are covid-19 free for which I am grateful.  

With warm regards,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 SO GLAD to read that you are doing well! Moving and all of the activies involved in the move can be so stressful. I am planning to move South in the next couple of years and I am not looking forward to the packing/unpacking, changing services etc. But it sounds like you have it all under control! 

Take care and again, glad you are well! Heart

Respected Contributor

Moving is a pain!  Glad you are safely settled in your new place.  In a week or so it will be in order, and you can start to feel at home. 🌷

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 

So glad you are back. Moving is such an exhausting, and some times emotional experience. I hope you will feel

right at home when every last thing is put away and you can relax, at last. Good to see you again.

Trusted Contributor

@aroc3435 Congratulations on your new home!  It sounds lovely.  Blessings on many years enjoying it.   Moving is such a pain, but in the end when you're finally settled it will be so nice.