Respected Contributor

Image may contain: outdoor

Mistrisquirrel

I am worried about you. Your squirrelly friends miss you!

doxie

Respected Contributor

@SelahG

Those nut treats should lure her back! They look good.

doxie

Esteemed Contributor

Awww, thank you so much @fourpaws56, and to all of you who posted.  Makes me tear up a little that you even noticed I was gone.  Smiley Happy  Heart

Image result for sad squirrel

::sniff::

I'm okay.  Just been busy with things and have not been wanting to spend as much time here.  Seems like you can get banned for minor infractions, so I figured I would limit my time on the boards.

Not that I haven't missed you all.  Heart

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paging Mistrisquirrel

[ Edited ]

@mistriTsquirrel

Don't think we've "talked" but when I saw all these sweet squirrels I wanted to tell you that I'm in the process of assembling a squirrel-themed  "gift basket" for a local animal rescue to raffle.

I've been shopping items for weeks and have found so many cute things -- bought two of most -- including a squirrel on a pumpkin cookie jar from Pier 1.  Also, a squirrel hooked rug (small) and tapestry pillow.  So precious.

Squirrels -- gotta love 'em!

Might have to make those little cookies to add to my basket!

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel@I was surprised to find that you are back...so the treats worked.Now we know the secret.Anyhow glad you stopped in to let us know that you are okay and hope that you can stick around for a bit.I don’t worry about getting banned because it’s like life ya just never know so enjoy while you can.

Respected Contributor

Re: Paging Mistrisquirrel

[ Edited ]

Image result for picture of squirrel dancing

I am glad you are OK!

doxie

@mistriTsquirrel

Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Image result for trick r treating squirrels

Respected Contributor

No photo description available.

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel 

Came across this article today...

Squirrels Were Purposefully Introduced to American Cities

Those nutty neighbors were once seen as a benefit to urban living.

By Nina Strochlic

Squirrels aren’t natural city slickers. In 1856 the sight of one in a tree near New York’s city hall so shocked passersby that a newspaper published a report about the “unusual visitor.”

Around that time, the tree-dwelling rodents were being released in America’s urban areas to “create pockets of rural peace and calm,” says University of Pennsylvania historian Etienne Benson, who studied our relationship to squirrels over the course of five years.

First they were introduced to Philadelphia, then to New Haven, Boston, and New York City. Park visitors were encouraged to feed them, and security guards ensured their safety. In the 1910s a Boy Scouts leader proclaimed that teaching children to feed squirrels could show the rewards of treating a weaker creature with compassion, says Benson.

By the early 20th century, though, America began to regret the hospitality it had shown squirrels. Cities had once been filled with animals—from horses pulling buggies to dairy cows and slaughterhouse livestock. By the 1950s those working animals had been moved to rural areas. Pets and wild animals such as birds and squirrels were all that remained of the urban animal kingdom.

Before long, the squirrels’ novelty waned, and they started to be seen as nuisances. By the 1970s many parks prohibited feeding the creatures. Today, says Benson, “people’s experiences with squirrels depend on their real estate investments.”

What would be lost if the last of these city dwellers were expelled? “I think there’s something constructive to having other living creatures in the city that are not humans and not pets but share the land with us,” says Benson. “Can we find some kind of happy medium? It’s a good thing to live in a landscape where you see other creatures going around making lunch. It’s good for the soul.”

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~