Honored Contributor

@ECBG   I was supposed to have asked you this a month ago and forgot.  My sister and two of her friends are leaving Tuesday for about a one week getaway in Ashville.  She wanted me to ask you for recommendation for good, not terribly expensive, restaurants for lunch and dinner. 

I immediately thought of that delectable-sounding restaurant speciality salad recipe you've posted several times.  Was it from an Ashville restaurant?  I KNOW  they'd love that.

They're going to Biltmore and she knows about the craftsman's guild store on the parkway (she's been to both before).  Anything else in the area they should see or do? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG   I was supposed to have asked you this a month ago and forgot.  My sister and two of her friends are leaving Tuesday for about a one week getaway in Ashville.  She wanted me to ask you for recommendation for good, not terribly expensive, restaurants for lunch and dinner. 

I immediately thought of that delectable-sounding restaurant speciality salad recipe you've posted several times.  Was it from an Ashville restaurant?  I KNOW  they'd love that.

They're going to Biltmore and she knows about the craftsman's guild store on the parkway (she's been to both before).  Anything else in the area they should see or do? 

@Kachina624 

The salad I love is the Cool Lavendar Chicken From the Corner Kitchen in Biltmore Village.

Biltmore House is a full day.  The tickets are expensive, BUT it is privately owned.  The state would have changed it which would have taken away the charm.

They need to see Chimney Rock (now state was private) park, have barbque over the giant rocks in the river at the Old Rock Cafe, below the Chimney (Rock).  The rock is shown in Daniel Day Lewis' Last of The Mohicans which I suggest they see.

The Southern Highland Folk Art Center shouldn't be missed.  This is where you buy mountain crafts where most methods are over 100 years old.  (They can buy in retail shops at home.).

Fiber Ladies raise the animal, sheer the wool, spin, weave, dye with fruits, vegetables, or plants and make that jacket.  

The water bottles from Blenko and are made from wooden molds over 100 years old.  They must have 20 colors.  They would make a beautiful small vase and come in two sizes.

Water Bottles (Non Optic) Open Water Bottle by Blenko Image 1

Several jewelry designers have work in the Smithsonian.

Be sure to have lunch (or dinner) at Omni Grove Park Inn where we hid German Generals during the World War.

They could do lunch at Biltmore Village and then go to the Folk Art Center which is right at the entrance to the parkway behind the Vetran's Admn. Hospital.. and then ride on the parkway and see all of the amazing views.

We are known as "The Land Of The Sky".

There are several motel/hotels on Hendersonville Rd right at Biltmore Village.  I would suggest they stay there.

There's a Hampton Inn and a Double Tree which would be more economical.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG    Thanks.  I think they already have Biltmore tickets and hotel reservations.  Sister has been to craft place and says things are too expensive. I don't mind expense if I really love something.  I've gotten nice things there that weren't that bad.  The other two women will probably want to go so I'm sure they'll end up there.   I'm thrilled to know they can try that salad. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I wonder if they REALLY realize the difference between someone going along a river and collecting items to make handmade jewelry with a self made design buying the metal, heating, hammering and designing compared to "mass produced"?  Handmade is more expensive because the craft person's life is in it.

You have a piece of art.

Vicki.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624  Sorry to intrude - was it the Chelsea Tea Room Pasta Salad? I only remember that because it sounded so good and has been posted frequently. 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12   I don't remember the name of the salad but ECBG has posted it a couple of times.  I don't remember it being a pasta salad but I could be mistaken.  Maybe she'd repeat it? 

@ECBG 

Honored Contributor

Re: Paging ECBG

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 

Unfortunately, Chelsea's Tearoom closed years ago.  I loved it.  I was the owner's flower girl when she married.   If she is still living, she would be 90.

I last saw and spoke to her about 5 years ago when I worked at Belk after developing the sciatic nerve issue at Dillards.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mj12   I don't remember the name of the salad but ECBG has posted it a couple of times.  I don't remember it being a pasta salad but I could be mistaken.  Maybe she'd repeat it? 

@ECBG 

Re: Dressing for Pasta Salad Needed

‎06-21-2016 02:06 AM

This is from a well-known tea room in our town.

Chelsea's Pasta Salad

1 box rotini pasta

1 small packet ranch dressing mix

2 Tbsp. fresh chopped or 1 Tbsp. dill weed

Juice of 1/2 lemon

2 Tbs. buttermilk (or a little vinegar added to milk)

1/2 C mayonnaise

1/2 C sour cream

4 stalks celery finely chopped

1 small red onion, chopped

1 C thawed frozen small green peas

Cook pasta al dente.   Cool completely.  (I use cold water)

In bowl combine dill, ranch mix, lemon juice, buttermilk, mayonnaise, and sour cream.  Stir thoroughly, salt and pepper if desired.

In large bowl toss pasta, celery, onion, and peas.

Pour dressing over and refrigerate 6-8 hours.

(I add green pepper and a little more dill).

They served it with a scoop of homemade chicken salad, a small pie

Is this what you wanted?

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Kachina624 

I wonder if they REALLY realize the difference between someone going along a river and collecting items to make handmade jewelry with a self made design buying the metal, heating, hammering and designing compared to "mass produced"?  Handmade is more expensive because the craft person's life is in it.

You have a piece of art.

Vicki.jpg

@ECBG - The purses are beautiful.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Kachina624 

You have a piece of art.

Vicki.jpg

@ECBG - The purses are beautiful.

@Mimi 1883 

Thank you.  These are from the Guild artist Vickie Love.  She sells through her public site.