Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: PRIVILEGES FOR SPENDING MORE?

I don’t understand Sephora making this sale such a big deal. I received my 15% off but Macy’s, L&T and other stores have coupons for cosmetics off and on all year.

And yes, I have had the same thing happen in regards to sold out merchandise with both Sephora and Nordstrom. It does not sit well with me either @Shanus .

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus, I completely agree with you.  Of course, I try to avoid certain stores like crazy.  Call it buying what I need and will use, rather than adding to my mountains of stuff.  So I would never qualify to get any reward from Ulta or Sephora.

I have ordered a few items I use from the Walmart site.  They have two categories of beauty items for sale.  One drugstore and one higher end.  When I first heard about a Walmart site for higher-end products, I thought it was a joke.  It’s worth a look.  They are selling items gathered from many different sources.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Shanuslol   Ulta has lots of company -   those that give points, cash back certificates redeemable only in their stores, anything so they get more of our money going forward.   Exactly why I believe in the long run, they benefit more than I do!

Although I never followed his plan, I think Dave Ramsey's advice to use cash and planned buying works well for consumers who have difficulty controlling their spending when they shop with plastic.  

@millieshops   Except for my Nordstrom card and an “emergency” charge card we never use, we operate basically on cash using only debit cards. Oddly very few use actual dollars. We ate dinner out the other night and DH tried to pay with a hundred dollar bill. The restaurant did not have enough cash on hand to make change. We used our debit card instead. I have read and agree w/ Ramsey’s theories as well.

Esteemed Contributor

Is it "unfair" that those with "elite" status get to board planes first?

I see nothing wrong with "loyality" points or systems.

There will always be things that those with more "points" or whatever can have that the non-members can't have.

That's life.

Afterall, who said that life was supposed to be fair?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Why shouldn't stores give their best customers special perks?  The most loyal shoppers should be rewarded.  That only makes sense to me. Otherwise why would they shop there? 

Honored Contributor

Stores/airlines/restaurants/etc. absolutely should give loyalty rewards.  

(But I don't think that the Q offering more easy pays on their card is any sort of incentive, neither is a one time $20 - $40 credit).

Esteemed Contributor

I think more than anything, it's about building relationships.  Successful retailers know that.

Plus, the consumer is notoriously fickle, so it's an ever-changing landscape.

I've spent most of my career in front-line retail.  Honestly, psychology majors should be running things, not the MBAs.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Is it "unfair" that those with "elite" status get to board planes first?

I see nothing wrong with "loyality" points or systems.

There will always be things that those with more "points" or whatever can have that the non-members can't have.

That's life.

Afterall, who said that life was supposed to be fair?

Exactly.  Should people who pay more get better seats - e.g, first class, business class, now apparently even aisle seats in some planes?  I really don't see a problem with that either.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a problem with people being rewarded for shopping.  It's a perk. 

You can get early access to the Nordstrom sale with their debit card also.  I'm not sure a lot of people know about that

Respected Contributor

There are also privileges in location. I went into the local store and some of the items sold out online were in stores.