Honored Contributor

Re: PREPARING FOR LOTS OF KIDS ON HALLOWEEN

I quit doing it a couple years ago.  They bus them in, hundreds of people running over everything, lots of roaming folks you don't know.  

Not in this day and age--and especially with covid.  We had an ice storm last year a couple days before,  trees down everywhere, limbs on the sidewalks--it was awful and unsafe and they STILL came.  I would be surprised if nobody got hurt or if someone wasn't sued. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Trick or Treating isn't allowed at our apt. development - but management is hosting a party at the playground.  

Also - our church is having a party for parish and neighborhood kids on Sunday afternoon.

Honored Contributor

We used to get almost 700 kids every year.  Buses and vans would line up across the street from us to let the kids off.  

For the past two years, we only got around 70 kids.  I have no idea why the numbers dropped off.

Last year, I gave handfuls of candy away just so I wouldn't eat it.

Once in the past, my youngest granddaughter came to show me her costume when she was finished trick or treating with her Girl Scout troop.  She left my house about 9:30pm with her mother and a lady with two small children came right up to me in my driveway and demanded candy for her children.

I told her that trick or treat was over at 8.  She yelled that I was giving candy to a child and should give some to her children as well.

I explained that the " child" was my granddaughter and she was visiting me and now and going home.

This crazy lady wanted to physically fight me..  My daughter had to go in and get my DH who advised her to leave or she would be arrested.  She cursed him to high heaven.

Talk about a crazy Halloween night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We hand out the candy and light the driveway and porch, so hopefully everyone sees well. By 8:30, it's lights out. By that time, the kids have gone home to a mall party, etc.

We put up a pet gate on the inside of the front door and Molly loves to run to the door when the bell rings. She usually wears a Halloween printed kerchief. Since we live on a corner, all the children stop by the fence to play with her and call her by name. Molly has a blast.

Around 9, the teenagers begin to make the rounds and I think they're passed the age to Trick or Treat. Candy stops at 8:30. 

Everyone who participates have fun and be safe.