Respected Contributor

Good advice! I have stopped shopping for things I can do without.  I like the simple life  Smiley Happy  I like things clean and clutter free. More time to enjoy the things in life that count  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I love to read so when I go into a bookstore I'll write down the title and go to eBay and look for that particular book in the used books.   I've gotten so many nice books that way and most of them are like new.  

I also use our public library quite a bit.   I can't remember the last time  I bought a brand new book.    I'm not an ebook user.    I love the feeling of holding a book in my hand.

@J Town Girl . Me too!!!!! I love to read, but most of my books come from Ebay, or I win them on GOODREADS.......There is no way I will spend 25.00 on a brand new book! I read too much to spend that.... 

Respected Contributor

@J Town Girl   i write the title down too of a book in a store that sounds good, then i get it at the library!!  i dont ownbooks but a few inspirational books Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Overshopping is totally relative to me. If one can afford it and it doesn't hurt anyone....I don't see a problem.

Respected Contributor

A lesson I learned from my Dad along time ago. Started my first job at 16. My first paycheck we went to the local bank. I opened an account. It was a lesson I never forgot. Spend some save some.    Thanks Dad.

Respected Contributor

@Regal Bee   If "one can afford it and it doesn't hurt anyone," it isn't overshopping.  On the other hand, the poster who started this conversation was pleading for help to stop.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG   I was stating my opinion and stand by what I said.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG @I think people who can afford to shop will overshop too..then they donate,have a garage sale or whatever to get rid of it.Some people just buy a bigger home to store all their stuff.Most of what we have is excess,stuff we rarely use or just part of a collection that takes up space but doesn’t have a real purpose.I am trying to stop my excess shopping and learn to use up and make do..it isn’t that I can’t afford stuff but I have found that excess has started to stress me out.I also hate to think of all of the wasted resources and the environmental impact my shopping has on the planet.I was recently at the dump and what an eyeopener.The stuff that was being hauled in and piled up shocked me...stuff that will never break down.

Respected Contributor

RE:  @IamMrsG   I was stating my opinion and stand by what I said.

@Regal Bee , by all means do.  My only intention was to give you the background of the conversation, didn't mean to strike a nerve or step on toes.

________

RE:  "I think people who can afford to shop will overshop too..."

@dex   You're right, of course.  In our younger days, I watched our friends with the latest styles, bigger homes, newer cars, flashy vacations and, being somewhat familiar with their levels of income, often wondered how they managed it.  I once asked a woman, and she confessed it was stressful, that there were times she only had $15 to buy that week's groceries for their family of four.  In contrast, DH and I lived below our means most of our lives.

This conversation reminds me of a time our son brought home a new girlfriend for us to meet. I noticed her looking around with some kind of intense interest or curiosity in our home.  Before the visit was over, she showed me a photo of her family's living room.  I'm not exaggerating, there didn't appear to be a square inch of clear space!  It was packed with 'decor' to the point of being smothering (IMHO).  I understood then how she must have been struck by the difference in our home.

I sometimes think back to that girl when I view photos shared here in the forums.  While I can appreciate the work involved, all I can see is clutter.  Shopping is just not a strong trait in my DNA, I guess.

To each, their own.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Tweety68 @IamMrsG @dex 

Here is my plan as of yesterday:

Every time I pass something by that is tempting, 

I pass it by and give myself an imaginary point.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~