Trusted Contributor

May have brother-in-law stay with us for a few nights.  He would be sleeping downstairs in our family room and he said he would have no issues sleeping on the couch.

Just wondering - do I try to fix the couch as I would a bed? 

Do I wrap a sheet around the bottom cushions, layer next a flat sheet and blanket on top?   

So that the room looks nice in the day time, do you each morning remove the sheets/blanket/pillows and then re-do again the next evening?

Honored Contributor

Re: Overnight Guest Question

@BunSnoop  Yes, yes, and yes.  You could let him do it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is there any way that he could have the *family room* to himself during his stay and you just congregate in the livingroom/dining areas and even perhaps outside?

That way, he'll be able to sleep as long as he wants and go to bed when he wants and not have people walking thru or in the room, unless it's not set up favorably that way.  More of a private room--so to speak.

That way you could leave the bedding on as it was for the next few nights.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Agreed--yes to all questions. Hope you don't live near an airport. We visited my sister and rest of family several years ago, and you could hear the planes all night long. Most miserable night of sleep we ever had. They never hear them. Cat Frustrated

Honored Contributor

We once had a train track in back of our property.  Never heard the train during the three years we lived there.  Someone built a  new rather exclusive subdivision near that same track, I've often wondered how they ever sold lots.  Someday I'll go back and see what it looks like.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop - When we visit DH's family DD has always slept on the couch without pulling it out. My SIL started to do that one year after everyone else went up, and DD told her it was fine leaving it closed. They have a sectional where one part pulls out. In the morning she just moves her pillow and folds the sheets.

Our children have had friends come with them to the beach too. There are two bedrooms, and they can't both bring friends at the same time. Whoever has a friend or two gets the bedroom; the other sleeps on the pullout coach. They never pull it out either. I do the same thing my SIL does- one flat sheet on the bottom and one to cover. I put a blanket nearby if our guest needs it.

If I were you, I would ask your BIL what he prefers before you go through the trouble of pulling it out. Have a nice visit!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if @BunSnoop  means a regular couch or a sleeper sofa.

If it's a sleeper sofa, it's easy to just close it with the sheets.

If it's a couch, which others use during the day because it's a family room, I would take the sheets off.

Honored Contributor

I think I would prepare the bed for him the first night and let him make and unmake it himself after that.  

Honored Contributor

I guess you can call me nosy, but why would he be sleeping in the family room?  If its none of my business thats ok.

It just sounds to me like sleeping in a guest bedroom would be a whole lot easier?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Some people don't have guest bedrooms.  We do now, but that's because the kid is gone.