Trusted Contributor

Re: Over Sharing ----Or Not!

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I wouldn't call it over-sharing.  I enjoy chatting with people. 

In supermarkets, sitting in the park, etc.  I can't count the number of times I stood in the supermarket aisle talking with someone I never saw before.

I live in NYC in a large residential area of Manhattan.  Here everyone talks to each other!  Sounds odd for NYC, doesn't it.   It's really like a small town around here.    

One woman - about 10 years older than me - was leaving Church after Mass and we were both waiting for the light to change to cross the street ... we struck up a conversation (turns out she lives in the building around the corner from me - we walked home together) ... now we know each other's names, backgrounds, etc., etc.  Everytime we pass on the street - we stop and chat.  

Jury Duty is a prime place for conversation.  For a few days we have a "best friend" to share with and then we're dismissed and we've gone our separate ways.  I've had really great fellow jurors!

On public transit is another prime opportunity for conversation.  

Exactly. I don't think I've ever been anywhere for more than 5 seconds without speaking to the person next to, behind or in front of me at a bus stop, subway station, on a line, anywhere.

I'm not different than most people in the City. There are also a few that want nothing to do with anyone, but they're the anomally.

Although, most conversations do start out as complaints about why we're standing there in the first place or how long it's taking. ☺ But, many of the conversations evolve after that. 

Super Contributor

@Annabelle I loved your post!  I am in my 50's with teen kids and I think visiting with strangers has become a dying art and I believe it's age-related.

If I am waiting somewhere in line, I might visit with a stranger next to me, but I notice it's mostly people older than me who are receptive and friendly. Anyone younger might give a quick answer to a comment but then they will immediately go back to scrolling on their phone.

The other day I was at the airport waiting in the area where people meet arrivals and I thought how amazing it was that every single person was on their phone.

Technology is making it more difficult to connect in this way, and I'm afraid that younger generations won't even know how to strike up conversations.

Trusted Contributor

@busymom22 wrote:

@Annabelle I loved your post!  I am in my 50's with teen kids and I think visiting with strangers has become a dying art and I believe it's age-related.

If I am waiting somewhere in line, I might visit with a stranger next to me, but I notice it's mostly people older than me who are receptive and friendly. Anyone younger might give a quick answer to a comment but then they will immediately go back to scrolling on their phone.

The other day I was at the airport waiting in the area where people meet arrivals and I thought how amazing it was that every single person was on their phone.

Technology is making it more difficult to connect in this way, and I'm afraid that younger generations won't even know how to strike up conversations.

Yes. I was going to comment on the same thing. But, I find that younger people/parents who are with kids usually join in on conversations, too, because the parents aren't wearing earbuds/headphones. 

I guess it's mostly those of us who grew up with nothing else to do while waiting on line who talk the most. ☺

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, I agree with those who say, that's not over-sharing or TMI. You're just an open-hearted, chatty person. 

Over-sharing: Providing more personal information than is absolutely necessary. Typically done when two or more people are conversing and details of one's sexual life creep into the discussion - or overly gross and disgusting details are included. Sometimes used in reference to loud cell phone users. Those without verbal boundaries and good social skills. Over-extroverted, attention-seekers. You'll see them all over the internet, too. They try to make any topic all about themselves. They make excellent trolls.

You would know, face-to-face, because the newly aquainted  person would become uneasy and start to back away. Make some excuse to leave pronto. 

Just keep being yourself with those who enjoy your company. I agree that conversation is becoming a lost skill for many. Some even avoid phone calls - they've become much more comfortable with texting. Being “in touch” in the most detached, vague way possible. There's lonely people and those who have ceased to care - antisocials.

Technology is great for many things, but an addiction to it takes away from things that make us human. Many would choose to “live” in an artificial, vitual reality, since their real one is hard to face. They're losing the drive to work toward changing it. Avoidance is so much easier. 😟

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 . I am a naturally really friendly, talkative person, and so is my youngest sister. We have met more people in stores, airports, Doctor's offices,etc......I love striking up conversations with people, you never know what they may say or have to  say....

People used to say oh she will talk to anyone, or there she goes again chatting away with a perfect stranger. lol!

I just love meeting new people. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I think when some people are speaking about oversharing they mean giving out information that you shouldn't...But I never do that, but I am very friendly and enjoy being that way. I would rather be super friendly than walk around and never talk to anyone....

We sound a lot alike @Annabellethecat66 . I bet I would really enjoy meeting you!

Respected Contributor

The only time I think Over Sharing is on the internet and social media when people and celebs share too much personal info like about their s*x life!  

Honored Contributor

Nope I'm not the chatty type. There's times I find it rather annoying. When I'm waiting to check out and there's an older person talking, talking, talking. I just want to pay and get out of there, leaving the chatting for another time and place. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I strike up conversations with everyone too. I think it is a frinedly thing to do.  

Honored Contributor

This thread is three pages long and has 29 posts.  @Annabellethecat66  has not been back since the OP.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Speaking of oversharing:

I always wait to pay things so the money (it's a lot) can draw interest.