Esteemed Contributor

Re: Out of Touch with Children

OH man....I had forgotten all about this.  We used to do it all the time when I was growing up to get the semi drivers to blow their air horns.  I've never seen it done for people in cars though but....why not?

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop 

Please tell your daughter that consumers, at least this one, admire and respect what she is doing.

I'm grateful there are people who want to do this hard work.  It makes life better for so many of us.

I know pay is often lower than "office" jobs, but it shouldn't be.

My husband is a builder and does impeccable work..he can do anything and do it right.

Nevertheless, my office job often paid more than what he made. 

His work is so much more specialized and vital, just like your daughter.

Doesn't seem right to me.

Honored Contributor

Not just trucks but also trains.

Not commuter trains-transport trains either approaching a railroad crossing or passing at the edge of a field. 

Of course, not while riding in cars.  Only standing and watching the train approaching.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

According to my daughter, the few senior drivers who retired from her company had announced their plans prior to COVID, so the pandemic likely reinforced their decision, but didn't factor into it.   My daughter is not aware of the virus affecting any of the truckers employed by her company.   

I find it hard to believe there's a driver shortage when my daughter is complaining about how hard it is to find a parking space in a truck stop or rest area when she's out of drive time and has to get off the road for a reset.  

Thanks to all here who acknowledge the job my daughter, and all truckers are doing to keep products in our stores, and ultimately our homes.   She is very proud of the job she's doing.      

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I won't watch Ice Road Truckers or any of those types of shows!   

Esteemed Contributor

I went on quite a few field trips with my son and his classmates.

Once we got on the big highways and encountered many tractor 

trailers all the boys were doing it to get the drivers attention.

We heard a lot of beeping during those trips.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@threecees    I wonder why little girls don't seem to be interested in engaging in this activity? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@RedTop    Thanks for the clarification. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This is new to me but my father had a heavy foot and used to pay my sister and I a dime for every CHP we spotted up the onramps especially on the road to Vegas (he used to be a race car driver).

Honored Contributor

I did that as a kid but also would lay in the ditch at our house and wave to the 'army men' that were coming into town for a week.  There would be a convoy of army trucks, and good looking men.

They would stay at the county fairground for training...I love a man in uniform.