Honored Contributor

Re: Our holiday get-together has turned into a chore

had this happen to me years ago. I just bowed out graciously. 

what once was a delightful get together turned into an "argh" not this gathering.  

Valued Contributor

I think it sounds like alot of fun.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Not to be a grinch, but this reminds me of why I am happy to be retired.

Work "holiday" get togethers were something I could live without most of the time -- especially like the one you described.

Who has time for ALL THAT?

Seriously, lunch out was more than enough for me.  Or everyone making one thing to bring.

I'm pretty sure celebrating shouldn't turn into a second job.

Good luck.

Yep! This is why I don't like to be part of anything that is a work related holiday affair. Some people want to go over the top with them, others don't want to participate at all. Some really can't afford (or don't have the time or the health/energy) for all they are asked to do, but feel obligated to do so in order to stay in good standing with the boss. 

From my understanding, they put one particular person in charge (and she was pretty zealous with the whole thing) and now changing/eliminating things isn't so easy. I'd say participate but the group as a whole needs to lay some ground rules for future years. 

Things like this that start out fun and well received loose their charm over the years for many people. It just seems easier to not have these kind of work related things, rather than deal with so many people's differing desires about something like this.

Trusted Contributor

Not celebrating Christmas, I have no experience with cookie exchanges, but if you're baking a dozen kinds, why not just keep your own?  They may taste better anyway, and nobody has to worry about possible problem ingredients in the other ones!

Respected Contributor

@Magny wrote:

Not celebrating Christmas, I have no experience with cookie exchanges, but if you're baking a dozen kinds, why not just keep your own?  They may taste better anyway, and nobody has to worry about possible problem ingredients in the other ones!

They're actually a lot of fun.   I always brought a serving tray and had a nice assortment of cookies that we put on the counter.   True some people are not great bakers, but it's the thought that counts.   All the side dishes, desserts, and gifts to go along with it is far too much to be expected.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@Melania

Many of us are not being scrooges, just questioning the number of dozens each attendee is expected to bring (13). 

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@Melania

Many of us are not being scrooges, just questioning the number of dozens each attendee is expected to bring (13). 

Plus all the other aspects of this get together.

With 13 people it would be 5 1/2 dozen in my cookie swap experiences.

~~
Respected Contributor

I've posted these before. Extreme cookie making:

snowballs

sandbakkels

gingersnaps

Forgot the name pepperkrakkerskrumkakke

rosettes

~~
Honored Contributor

Geez, Deb!  Nice going!  Smiley Happy

I'll take those peanut butter cookies.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

A group of us that work together started a holiday get together, just a fun afternoon of eating and laughing.

This year it has morphed into a chore.

We are doing a cookie exchange which means:

we all need to bake 13 dozen cookies.

Bring an appetizer and a dessert

Bring a gift

Auughghgh

Now several of us are wondering how did this morph into such a project?!??!?!

LOL

I agree with it all being too much, @Abrowneyegirl.

I agree that it doesn't sound like fun anymore, but that it sounds more like a chore. 

I can see picking one item and doing that, and then that's it.

Everybody usually has other obligations at this time of year that they're busy with, so I can see how overwhelming this one event can be for you.

I have participated in a cookie swap before, and I can't recall how we did it where it worked out, but I know that I didn't have to bake that many cookies for it.

I think that I baked less cookies, and that it all worked out in the end with the number of participants in the swap.