Trusted Contributor

Re: Our holiday get-together has turned into a chore

Q4U wrote:

How disappointing!  

In my family when our parents all passed away the kids all decided to exchange cookies and goodies every year instead of gifts!  Great idea in my opinion and it started off wonderful.  I was going to make cookies and various things for Christmas anyway.... and really looked forward to receiving a package from each family.  I always had my box ready to go by the end of the first week in December, and I sent a lot.... several dozen of my special candy cookies, peanut brittle, a half pound of chocolates or so and I always include a little ornament or candle and put the goodies in special Christmas containers.....

Now, although we still receive the boxes, it is barely an attempt in nearly all the cases.  Some (a little baggie) of toffee peanuts....  a little baggie of chocolate covered pretzels, all purchased and okay and I don't mean to sound ungrateful but I wonder if this is has become too hard and a chore for the other families and we should just give it up and send a card.....?

@Q4u, what may have "it started off wonderful" ... but I wonder if this is has become too hard and a chore for the other families and we should just give it up and send a card.....? ...

You do not sound ungrateful, just tired.

What used to be home-made has now become store bought, clearly a sign of not enough hours in a day nor enough days in a week.

You might be surprised who else in your family/friends  feels this same way.  Times are difficult for so many, but they may never want to say anything to cause stress or be a burden of worry.

If you really feel this way, if it is not too late this year to send a group e-mail suggesting this exchange should stop, that it probably has run its course.

Relate that times have become difficult for all and schedules have become busier.  Perhaps this year, just send a special card with a photo or/and a written message to one another.

Perhaps, you may want to suggest for next year each of you could exchange homemade ornaments or ?

Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

I can't even imagine her having enough space to put out that many cookies.  And I also can't imagine anyone wanting to take home 13 dozen of cookies (and I love cookies).  Gosh that's like asking people to make cookies for a wedding cookie table.

Can't someone clue her in that is too many.  Two/three dozen per person would be adequate.  How is everyone supposed to cart 13 dozen to and fro, that is going to be one huge container or are you to box each variety separately.  You all will need help unloading and loading your cars!  I think she is confused.

Respected Contributor

If it has turned into a chore that means it's not fun anymore. I bet your group has the same sentiments. Sounds a little over board to me. If it's too late for this year, definitely suggest something else for next year. Good luck with all that baking.

Respected Contributor

It's more important to get together than the cookie making, I'd speak up and say something.  I cherish my friends and sometimes around the holidays it becomes too much and too stressful to do everything.  I don't know that many people who bake anymore, I know I've cut back over the years, the older I get, the less I want to do.

Respected Contributor

WAAYYY too much work.

How about a happy hour out somewhere? With a few cocktails and a few snack foods to share. Some girl talk and a "Have a good holiday!!". 

Or, even a lunch out. 

There really is no point in dreading something you do not want to do.

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

Baking and exchanging just one dozen (purchased in a bakery) or a small batch (if baked, according to the quantity in the recipe) would be better and less time consuming.  That would be the 'perfect' amount for a cookie exchange. jmo

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I would nix the cookie exchange, that sounds like way too much work...Or if you want to keep the cookie exchange, drop it to 2 dozen per person, you would still have enough, plus if everyone is bringing an appetizer and a dessert and a gift, yep the cookie exchange needs to go, or at least be vastly reduced........It should be a fun time, not a stressful time worrying about baking, cooking,etc.......You would think she would not have the time for all of that baking either with small children......

Respected Contributor

Cookie exchange should be a separate event IMO.   It does require a lot of cookies. We always times 5 the amount of people participating.  That way everyone got 5 of each kind.   The ladies that I did exchanges with brought small gift bags and would load them up for mailman/neighbor gifts.   I always brought double the amount as I brought 2 different kinds.   Always rosettes and either sandbakkels or snowballs.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

13 dozen?  Absolutely not.  I hope you can gracefully bow out of this, or at least tone it down.  Unnecessary stress IMO.  I loved the idea of going out for a Holiday Happy Hour instead. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

At work, when the holiday event turned from a pleasure to a chore, I stopped attending. It was the busiest time of year in my department including long hours and travel. I just couldn't cope with the pot lucks and cookie baking.