Honored Contributor

Re: Our holiday get-together has turned into a chore

@cherry wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Seems to me that most people have way too many cookies around during the holidays to begin with and the you dump several dozen more on them?

And you'd have to give them all away at once lest they get stale.

You would leave with 156 cookies

I'm calling in with the flu.

Esteemed Contributor

The power of NO. No way, not happening. First of 13 dozen is insane. Going home with all those cookies is rediculis. Let's face some people's baking skills are not good. I would rather clean put my garage than have to socialize with 13 Co workers
Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

Someone is over-planning! I'd probably stop going. In our city neighborhood when I was still working, someone planned a "ladies Christmas gathering" every year. I actually wanted to go and see or meet the neighbors, but it was always a cookie exchange or ornament exchange of something like that. I was too busy to even think about that, with work deadlines piling up right at the holidays and with my travel schedule. So, I declined. I don't even know what a cookie exchange IS exactly! What would have been wrong with a simple gathering for tea and a chat?

Esteemed Contributor

Something is wrong here.  If each person bakes 13 dozen cookies that equals 156 cookies per person.  WHo the heck brings home 156 cookies from a cookie swap?

Honored Contributor

The hostess could be planing a party ,and using everyones cookies as part of her refreshments. She might figure everyone does that kind of stuff

Honored Contributor

Sometimes, these things sound like a good idea in, say, September and then when the time actually comes to make the actual food, we tend to have remorse.

This happens with family things as well as work things.

Lesson learned ;o)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I am SO smart!  I have NEVER wanted to be involved in a cookie exchange!  Now I know why!!!!  Woman Surprised  LOL!!!!

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree What you said makes sense!  I can see doing that.

As I have never done this before I have not a clue.

Honored Contributor

I've never done a cookie exchange in my life and certainly after reading this...no way.

I'd much rather buy a package of Oreos and stay home by myself watching trashy tv shows

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Chrystaltree2 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

How disappointing!  

In my family when our parents all passed away the kids all decided to exchange cookies and goodies every year instead of gifts!  Great idea in my opinion and it started off wonderful.  I was going to make cookies and various things for Christmas anyway.... and really looked forward to receiving a package from each family.  I always had my box ready to go by the end of the first week in December, and I sent a lot.... several dozen of my special candy cookies, peanut brittle, a half pound of chocolates or so and I always include a little ornament or candle and put the goodies in special Christmas containers.....

Now, although we still receive the boxes, it is barely an attempt in nearly all the cases.  Some (a little baggie) of toffee peanuts....  a little baggie of chocolate covered pretzels, all purchased and okay and I don't mean to sound ungrateful but I wonder if this is has become too hard and a chore for the other families and we should just give it up and send a card.....?

I assume you don't work and have all the time in the world for a huge undertaking like that.  Even as a sshm, I would not have had the time, energy or money for that.  Not to  mention,  but what does one do with all that sweet stuff? I suspect much was tossed out.  It seems like your family needs a new family tradition.  That cookie thing HSS run it's course and they are just going through the motions now.

When it started, I had a full time job and two kids to raise and run around (as well as their school responsibilities) as well as my own personal hobby of teaching Karate 3 times a week and my own trainig (I was a 2nd degree black belt in Tang Soo Do) and selling on eBay (which I still do) and of course what DH and I did together.  As far as it being expensive, it was actually far less expensive than buying gifts for everyone..... LOL.... but yes I agree wholeheartedly that it's run its course and everyone should mercifully be let off the hook.... Woman Wink  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*