Honored Contributor

Re: Our holiday get-together has turned into a chore

Yup---time to speak up and get this thing back on the original track. 13 dozen cookies!!! Holy cow that is alot. Someone needs to help that poor girl out with little kids on board. She must be exhausted!! I'd nix the cookie thing and do a pot luck.Then leave the extras with the hostess. I don't know about you, but I don't need any cookies.

Honored Contributor

Thirteen dozen each?  That's a lot for a small group of women.  Maybe she meant a baker's dozen (thirteen cookies each), lol.  Anyway, it seems to me that each person could bake a batch of cookies from one box or one recipe.  I'd never, never bake thirteen dozen cookies, knowing that each person would be doing the same.   Way too many cookies, unless it's for a wedding reception with many guests.   Knowing myself, I'd 'bow out', or just bake a batch of cookies according to a normal recipe or box directions.  Well, have fun.  (lol) (said in a nice, not sarcastic way)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Wagirl:  We were thinking/posting at the same time!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Someone needs to put the brakes on this. It sounds like you need a leader. They are trying to put ALL the activities they think sound like fun into one event. I would send a e mail to all the parties involved and ask them to come back with their opinion of how this could be cut back to more like it's original format. Maybe a gift that costs under a certain amount - say $20 and people born jan thru june bring an appetizer and those born july thru dec bring a dessert. Cookie exchanges are a huge PIA I think and I don't do them.First you have the expense and the work for all that baking and then you have to find a creative way to wrap them ....just not at all worth it. So IMO - you need to nix that. Perhaps instead if you want everyone could bring something for toys for tots and one or two people could volunteer to take them to where ever they are collected in your area.All in all - the simpler you can keep this the more enjoyable it will be.

Honored Contributor

romary--great minds............right?!

Honored Contributor

Still thinking about this.  Knowing myself, I'd walk in with one normal batch of cookies (along with the other requirements).  I'd cheerfully say 'Sorry, I didn't have time to bake thirteen dozen', and just carry on, enjoying the day............In fact, if I didn't at all feel like baking cookies, I'd probably just buy a dozen or two assorted cookies at my local supermarket bakery.  Making the appetizers and dessert would be enough for me to do. 

Honored Contributor

Wagirl:  Yes!  Great minds actually think.  Period, and enough said. 

Honored Contributor

Just thinking again ('great minds', right?): ...........Maybe this host is planning to save the cookies for another event that  she will be hosting during the holidays.  Surely there will be cookie leftovers, right? 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would suggest going back to the original plan of the get-together.  This time of year is way too busy to worry about baking cookies, or potluck dishes, or even buying gifts instead.  In fact, exchanging gifts will eventually turn into a nightmare, as well, so I wouldn't do it.  Keep the gathering in it's original spirit of fun and friendship with no  obligations for anyone to turn themselves inside out with overwork especially if you work in or out of the home, have kids, or whatever.  

Honored Contributor

If it isn't fun why do it?