Respected Contributor

Our holiday get-together has turned into a chore

[ Edited ]

A group of us that work together started a holiday get together, just a fun afternoon of eating and laughing.

This year it has morphed into a chore.

We are doing a cookie exchange which means:

we all need to bake 13 dozen cookies.

Bring an appetizer and a dessert

Bring a gift

Auughghgh

Now several of us are wondering how did this morph into such a project?!??!?!

LOL

Respected Contributor

Re: Our holiday great together has turned into a chore

Try to bow out gracefully.  I had the same experience and it turned out everyone felt the same way.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2

I agree with CAcableGirl.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

I agree, chances are if you feel it, others probably do too.

Esteemed Contributor

Suggest that everyone bring a dish to share, period, that is not so overwhelming.

Respected Contributor

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you still have to go, try to make small bars or brownies....they are so much easier than trying to make (and frost) 13 dozen cookies. That is the same amount that we had to bake and I ended up taking them to work (this wasn't a work related event), and they enjoyed them and it was better to me not to have that temptation of 12 dozen cookies at home.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

way too much stuff

should be 1 of the above a gift or cookies or a dish not all of them.  yuck

I'd bet if you cancel because it's too much for you, they will all want to dial back the whole event. 

Honored Contributor

Why not go to a restaurant, relax and have a cocktail ?  Your plan sounds like too much work this time of year .JMO.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you still have to go, try to make small bars or brownies....they are so much easier than trying to make (and frost) 13 dozen cookies. That is the same amount that we had to bake and I ended up taking them to work (this wasn't a work related event), and they enjoyed them and it was better to me not to have that temptation of 12 dozen cookies at home.

It was the newest and youngest gal's turn to plan the event.  She is very sweet and we all think she got overly excited and then this happened.  She is the only one of the group with small children (none are in school yet) and she is hosting!!!

Since several of the women have already bought ingredients and made their dough (freezer) I do not think it is fair for people to start backing out now.

That said, I am making boxed cake mix cookies.  Several people tell me they are fast and easy to make.

We already have plans to discuss going out next year!

Honored Contributor

Then someone needs to speak up and say it is too much and that you cannot be part of it.  I am sure you are not the only one feeling this wayCat Very Happy

kindness is strength