Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe@Maybe the neighbor will pay half for a new fence that doesn’t need to be covered up.

Respected Contributor

OP I think my first step would be to check your local ordinaces regarding property lines and fence location before I said anything to your neighbor.  Who knows if changes may have occurred over the years.  While what he did was un-neighborly and perhaps a misunderstanding on his part, you should CYA before you meet with him.

Trusted Contributor

In the suburb where I live, it is legal to cut, trim, and/or remove anything that intrudes into your property. Our neighbor has lilac bushes that have grown way over onto our property .  We have never trimmed them, but may need to this year simply to make it easier to mow the lawn.

Respected Contributor

If the jasmine invaded his yard, the neighbor had the right to remove.  If it was solely in your yard, then he had no right to remove it.

If the fence is old, I doubt removing the jasmine is what caused it to be falling down. If it were me, I'd repair or replace the fence and plant something less invasive.

Honored Contributor

I understand that none of your Jasmine was over the property line. First check to be sure of the laws pertaining to the situation, then get spray paint, measure three inches from your fence and spray a line along your property line. Next have an attorney send him a letter, or if you don't want to incur that cost of an attorney, write it yourself and send it registered mail return requested, warning him against touching anything on your side of the line.

Never approach him for a "friendly" talk, if he were friendly he would have spoken with you prior to ripping your Jasmine and he will see you as weak. Never approach him for any talk, don't answer the door if he comes to your house. It won't end well. 

He has shown you his character and you need to put him in his place sooner, not later.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain

@occasionalrain wrote:

I understand that none of your Jasmine was over the property line. First check to be sure of the laws pertaining to the situation, then get spray paint, measure three inches from your fence and spray a line along your property line. Next have an attorney send him a letter, or if you don't want to incur that cost of an attorney, write it yourself and send it registered mail return requested, warning him against touching anything on your side of the line.

Never approach him for a "friendly" talk, if he were friendly he would have spoken with you prior to ripping your Jasmine and he will see you as weak. Never approach him for any talk, don't answer the door if he comes to your house. It won't end well. 

He has shown you his character and you need to put him in his place sooner, not later.

The bush was planted by neighbor that moved out.  It had grown through the boards.  If he would have cut them and pulled gently, they could have removed with pulling the staples out.  That is my complaint. I guess I need to find out what the laws are.   My son came out and we put about 100 screws in the loose boards.   He also ticked me off because he shoves a page in my door.  A letter in Jan.  that said the trees must be cut NOW.  It was not a choice.  I ended up paying 1,500 to have my side cut as well.  If I didn't cut my side, trees would be leaning all towards my house.  The guy that in the  lift got into a huge fight with him.  He was screaming at them that he wanted more and more off.   Then they broke my fence tearing it down to get the big machine in the yard.  It took them 3 weeks to come out and fix it.  They sent a young kid that had no clue what he was doing.  The fence was still not attached at the top.   

I totally agree with you about staying away from him.  I questioned as to why these trees needed cut in Jan cause of the roof?   He said roofer never showed.  I guess he realized the guy is a nutcase.   It is almost May and he can't find a roofer by now??  

I could go on for hours but I need to go to bed.   I want nothing to do with him.   We had to go on his property to put the screws in.  My son said he is looking out the window.  I said I don't care.  He had a bunch of boards standing and leaning on the fence, so I took them and threw them on the ground.  THen there was a huge Rock pushed up against the fence.  My son pulled it away from the fence and I said that is not far enough, so I moved it further in the center of yard.  

Esteemed Contributor

@makena   I will check tomorrow.  I did not plant the plant there.  My old neighbors did.  He had the right to remove that but I also have one on my side and told him DO NOT TOUCH  my vines.  I will take care of them   Get this he blamed me for him needed the roof replaced.  I said I am sorry but you are crazy.  Your roof is 25 years old.  It has no shingles missing and no holes and neighbors always cut the trees back when they got near.  I said you need to replace the roof because it is 25 years old.  I repeat , the guy is an idiot.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions please

[ Edited ]

@RoughDraft   I agree with  what you said.   I would have cut them back, but he didin't tell me that he was going to rip it off.   I have 2 of them and yes they are spreading fast.  When I asked "Why did you have to have the trees cut in Jan.  I had to shell out 1,500.  It was right after Christmas and I had to replace my dryer and stove.  I told him I am a widow and on a fixed income.  When he started screaming at me, because I laughed at him when he blamed my trees for his roof,I  looked at him and said I am done with you.

Then I sent him a text telling him if any more damage is done  to my fence , I will see him in small claims court.   If he ticks me off again , I will paint the fence on his side hot pink.  LOL

Believe it or not they actually hold the fence up during hurricanes, that is why we planted them and I did find out that I have 3 inches on that side, is my property.  Fences are never right on the line.   The only time I have seen that is when both neighbors pay for it and use it.  That is not the case here.   

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain@lulu1@mac116@Allegheny, and @dex.    Thanks to all of you for responding.

Honored Contributor

Three inches from the property line is crazy-close.   I'd check local ordinances to see if you're within the law.  Twelve inches seems more normal.  And jasmine, while beautiful and fragrant, is terribly invasive - i.e. not a good choice for a property line.  I'd remove it.  Consult with your neighbor on what, if anything, should replace it.  Remember, QVC sells a privacy fence with faux ivy from Compass Home (M52911) that's quite popular.