Honored Contributor

Re: Opinion Poll: Going to Work Sick ...

Obviously the hospital puts a low priority on their employees and that's sad.

Where I live there are temp agencies that can provide a temp pharmacist in that case.

But I live in a large metro area.   

The pharm tech can do everything a pharmacist can do, except I do understand the pharmacist should be on duty.   Shame on her co-workers.   I'd be sure to remember that when one of them needs to swap a shift.

So sorry for your daughter.    Maybe she can find a better job.  Some place with better coverage or a boss who cares.  She has a wimp for a boss.   He had a rough week dodging her phone calls deliberately because he can't supervise his staff & make someone go in for her.

@bichon mom wrote:

Yes. I definitely think people who are sick should stay home.  This has hit a nerve with me today!

My daughter has had the flu for over a week.  She had to work yesterday from 7-7.  She is a pharmacist in a hospital setting.  She called all her fellow collegues to go in for her.  Everyone had a reason why they could not i.e. my birthday, prior commitment, busy, etc,  She called her boss three times and left messages on his cell and home phone.  He called her this morning and told her that he had a rough week and should just stay hydrated.  She can rest tomorrow!! So she had to go to work again today!

She can hardly stand up but needs to be there as a pharmacist needs to be in the hospital to dispense the meds.

I am beyond upset but what can be done under these circumstances? Oh, because of budgeting, they let the per diem pharmacist go. 

Esteemed Contributor

This topic reminds me of a Boss I once had that prided herself on never missing work.  I was pregnant at the time and didn't appreciate her point of view at all!

Honored Contributor

I worked as a ward clerk in various hospitals and nursing homes over the years and the worst offenders of that were the nurses and aides. They would call in sick and were talked into coming to work because they had no one to replace them. I remember one nurse came to work very sick and a week later was in the hospital with a severe case of pneumonia. We had a nurses aide who had a heart attack at work and she was talked into coming to work that day when she tried to call in sick that day. We also had a nurse who had a nervous breakdown and locked herself in the linen room, and so it goes on and on.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely rude. I used to send my staffers home if they came in obviously sick. All that does is spread disease around.

Valued Contributor

There are companies that use a point system to discourage employees from calling in sick. You receive points every time you call off. You receive points if you clock in more than 5 minutes early or 5 minutes late. You receive points if you don't call off more than 2 hours prior to your shift etc.. If you collect a certain amount of points you are job coached and it affects your raise. Most employees do not need this type of stringent discipline program. This program encouraged employees to work while sick or they felt they were being punished for not coming in. By the way the points were accumulated even with doctors notes. 

Respected Contributor

Can understand a person who does not have sick pay wanting to come in but would be annoyed they did because of germs and because they would not be very pleasant to be around and would be very annoyed if they constantly mentioned it all day long.

Respected Contributor

Where I work, they give out annual awards to people who didn't miss any work that year. So, people come to work when they're sick and make others sick, when their loved ones are facing catastrophic illness, while still in deep bereavement, etc. It's time to rethink the values.

Honored Contributor

My coworker has complained over and over again about people coming into work when they were sick. She would carry on if anyone coughed or sneezed or blew their nose. You would have to listen to her tirade over and over again.

WELL - guess who has been sick for the past two weeks. YES - her. And she came into work coughing, sore throat and all the entire time.

Guess it only applies to the other person. Not her.

Honored Contributor

There are degrees of sickness. I've worked with bad colds, but flu and fever would keep me home.  It really is inconsiderate to show up when you are so sick that you are not productive.

Trusted Contributor

When my kids were young, I worked at a job that allowed 5 sick days a year.  I had to save those days for when my kids were sick.  I went in sick, otherwise I would have lost being paid for the day, or worse, lost my job.