Respected Contributor

According to the news, this current severe heat warning and its dangerous implications are unique to the Southwest and desert areas.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

That reminds me of a quote by this gentleman:

General Philip Henry Sheridan — 'If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell"

@Kachina624   I know a bunch of "born & raised" Texans........but not a single one would admit to that.........!!!!!    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I always wonder why people think that living in the desert shouldn't get blistering hot. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I always wonder why people think that living in the desert shouldn't get blistering hot. Woman Frustrated

@ID2    What's even more amazing:   People don't think we actually have a winter here, too...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Only 117 degrees today.

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty

Oh gees ......  that's tough!    we had 102 degrees yesterday, and hotter today.    

I plan to spend a lot of time in the house reading for the next several days.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2  Not all deserts are created equal.  Albuquerque and Northern New Mexico as well as parts of Arizona,   Colorado, and Nevada are classified as "high desert" due to their altitudes.  Albuquerque and Denver are the same "mile high" altitude of 5,270ft.  Areas at these higher altitudes have moderate climates with four distinct seasons, get at least some snow and are not as hot as say, Phoenix which is not high desert.  Santa Fe is over 6,000ft and is the highest city that is a state capital.  Albuquerque averages 2 days per year where the temperature reaches 100°.  This week we're supposed to have 4.  That's why it's unusual. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

That reminds me of a quote by this gentleman:

General Philip Henry Sheridan — 'If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell"

@Kachina624   I know a bunch of "born & raised" Texans........but not a single one would admit to that.........!!!!!    di

@Desertdi  I used to think of that saying often when I lived there. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I read in the news online that 6 people died in the last few days in southern Nevada, and more fatalities are expected during the heat warning. It said that 98 people had died there in 2016 from the heat. High heat over 110 is a danger.

Honored Contributor

One positive point, I guess, where I am is that the humidity is low.   I still cannot handle the heat but heat with humidity is beyond unbearable.

Valued Contributor

Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 11.15.23 AM.png